Lembeh Straits Trip report 10-13 thru 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is the second trip I have made to this area in less than a year. I was so blown away with my trip last December and January I wanted to come back in October when I was told the visibility could probably be better in Raja Ampat. This report will be in two parts.

In late August, I was notified that the Sunday October 19 flight from Manado to Sorong was canceled. Thus I had to lose a day of diving in Lembeh by having to leave a day early and go and spend a night in a place called Ujung Pandang (Makassar). Making this flight enabled me to make the Sunday boat schedule to Sorido. I do not enjoy spending my time on Planes and Airports…Grrrrr…I like to be diving!... but I endeavor to pursue!

Part I Lembeh Straits

Five nights-thirteen dives. The weather was pretty much perfect. Sunny days around 90 degrees. Water temperatures around 80 to 83 degrees.

Finally arriving at Lembeh resort, I did a Mandarin fish dive that afternoon with a friend Harley who manages another resort nearby. I have never done a Mandarin fish dive before. Plenty of Mandarins, my camera is a point and shoot Sony, kinda just point and shoot and hope that you got the shot I was lucky got a couple of good pictures.

Lembeh Resort- My room had an excellent view of the Straits. Breakfast and Lunch were served buffet style. At breakfast, they had an Omelet and waffle station. Dinner usually had four choices for entrees and a couple of options for desserts. Meals were excellent and the staff at the resort was wonderful.

Danny is the owner of Lembeh divers and Tanya is the new manager. They go out of their way trying to accommodate your requests and make sure you are happy, I cannot not say enough good things about the dive operation. I spent my time diving mostly with Samuel and Joni both excellent dive guides. Had some incredible dives at TK-3 and Air Prang 3. Got another shot of the most famous Rhinopias Paddleflap, on the planet. One dive at Air prang I saw Fire Urchins, Ribbon eels, Purple scorpion fish, Rhinopias paddleflap, Coleman shrimp, Yellow tail blenny etc. Other dives I saw frogfish of just about every size, Coconut octopus, Cuttlefish, Pigmy cuttlefish, Box Crab, Mimic Octopus, many different types of Pipefish, Hairy Stonefish and one of my favorites a Hairy frogfish who was walking along the bottom.

This year I did not have as many great dives as I did last year, I spent more time going to sites that the Blue Ringed Octopus and Flamboyant Cuttlefish are known hang around. No Luck! Guess I have to go back!

Wonderful Resort, dive operation and had an excellent time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom