NATO, Zulu or Rhino Watch band?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Am looking for a watch band to replace the band that came with my Citizen Aqualand.

What are the differences between NATO, ZULU and Rhino Straps? Are these a style of Band or are these the brand ?

They all seem similar in concept. Would appreciate feedback on your preferences and info on what to look for.

The watch I need it for is quite large and heavy (Citizen Aqualand 20th Anniversary edition) and need it in 24mm width.

I have a few Zulu's that I wear from time to time and also come to think of it a NATO, I think the rhino is similar to the Zulu, just a different brand.They are all worn so that if you break a pin you dont loose your watch. The NATO is longer and fold back under the loops on it. The thing I dont like is that once they get wet it takes them a while to dry, so after the dive you have a wet band on your wrist, but their so cheap you can take a couple with you and switch them out till they dry. Heres where i order mine. maratac and they do have 24mm but if you want to use 22 which are more common it will work fine.

Doug

I like my Zulu's as well. Got them from countycom.com - nicely made, good quality and the standard length is long enough for me (my wrist size) to fold back and secure the tag end.

Make sure you get the 4-ring band to get the security tat dwm1 mentions.

Henrik

Am looking for a watch band to replace the band that came with my Citizen Aqualand.

What are the differences between NATO, ZULU and Rhino Straps? Are these a style of Band or are these the brand ?

They all seem similar in concept. Would appreciate feedback on your preferences and info on what to look for.

The watch I need it for is quite large and heavy (Citizen Aqualand 20th Anniversary edition) and need it in 24mm width.

I know this is an old thread, but did you get your answers, ozziworld? If not:

All of these straps thread through both spring bars and under the watch case, thus being more secure in case of one spring bar failure. NATO straps are a type of strap named after the military alliance. "Zulu" is a brand name registered to the company Maratac, but since "Zulu" is commonly used to mean the letter Z in the NATO phonetic alphabet, and is also what we call UTC or GMT in the armed forces, many other companies call their straps "Zulu" straps. Rhino is also a brand of strap, very similar to Zulu straps. Many companies use the term "NATO" for their Zulu type straps and vice versa, so these definitions below aren't set in stone.

NATO straps usually have 3 rectangular metallic buckles (4 if you count the buckle that fastens the strap), thus have less security than the other two straps. Most NATO straps have two pieces of fabric that go under the watch case. Some people cut off one fabric piece to eliminate thickness and make the watch sit lower on the wrist. Some companies sell NATOs like this too.

The most secure Zulu straps have 4 rounded metallic rings (5 if you count the ring that fastens the strap), thus are the most secure non-metallic straps that I'm aware of. But companies also sell 3-ring straps with rounded hardware (similar to NATO straps). These also have two pieces of fabric that go under the watch case.

Rhino is a brand of Zulu-type strap that also has round rings. I think they come in both 4 and 5-ring versions too. Most have their Rhino logo on a patch sewn to the strap, but some models don't have the Rhino patch.

Also, some companies sell "fake" NATO and Zulu straps that are actually 2-piece straps, much like leather watch bands. They have the look of NATO and Zulu straps, but don't have the thick fabric under the watch. Obviously, these are much less secure than the real thing because each piece attaches to one spring bar and there is no fabric under the watch case.

To summarize:
NATO
- a type of strap, named after the military organization
- rectangular hardware
- 3 buckles (4 if counting the fastener)

Zulu
- a brand of strap, but many companies use this name
- rounded hardware
- 4 rings (5 if counting the fastener, but some companies have models with 3 or 4 rings)

Rhino
- a brand of Zulu-type strap

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom