What's up with Dive Training Mag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clint@uniquescuba.com

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey, I was reading through the november issue of Dive Training Mag and they have almost a whole page announcing the death of YSCUBA. When I first started reading it I thought for sure they would also announce the creation of YDI as well, but they didn't mention it at all.

I think this is a great disservice to you guys. I hope you get on them about this.

Hey, I was reading through the November issue of Dive Training Mag and they have almost a whole page announcing the death of YSCUBA. When I first started reading it I thought for sure they would also announce the creation of YDI as well, but they didn't mention it at all.

I think this is a great disservice to you guys. I hope you get on them about this.

Based on some previous threads it was mentioned that Dive Training has been contacted. I don't know what the publication lead time is for Dive Training so I would be hard to say when they could follow up with the YDI information.

I am not a YDI member and I am only relating information from what YDI members posted on ScubaBoard.

DT's lead time is 3-4 weeks and I saw the article a week before DEMA. Our shop's copies came in then. I immediately contacted DT and got a response from the editor the next day. YMCA sent out the press release. They had no interest in promoting the new agency so they did not. Tec Clark had been away from the program for a number of years and was therefore not in a postion to comment on the new agency either. In fact I don't know why he commented at all. But after contacting them I notified Dan Marelli and Tom Leaird. Dan then contacted them as well. I also know that DT's editor was planning on stopping by the DEMA booth and is planning a correction to the article. THere are some other things going on right now and press release is forthcoming this week. THere are some issues with the YDI name and it may need to be changed. I'll post more as I get information. I'll also contact the appropriate people here to keep things up to date. THanks Clint for this thread. It's a good way to get the word out that the article is misleading. I owe ya one buddy.

THere are some issues with the YDI name and it may need to be changed.

????? ------

YDI..........."Young Diving Instruction"

YDI.........."Youth Diving Instruction"

YDI.........."Young Diving International"

YDI..........."Youth Diving International"

YDI..........which is it?

I can see how the national YMCA would not want a new scuba agency with a name so similar to YMCA. YMCA SCUBA has always been known as Y SCUBA . YDI would be known as Y SCUBA also.
If the national Y wants to distance themselves from the liability of a scuba program, that is their right. A lawyer may ask "What does YDI stand for?" The mere name YDI suggests an extension of YMCA SCUBA. I would bet they have the name YMCA copyrighted. Best to have all this hammered out BEFORE cert cards are issued.

Last edited:
Our thoughts exactly! I'm going to email Tom for an update tomorrow. I just got home from teaching an ow pool session and have not eaten since 11:30 this morning. THis is my last post done while the pizza is heating up! See ya later and thanks for the support.

I can see how the national YMCA would not want a new scuba agency with a name so similar to YMCA. YMCA SCUBA has always been known as Y SCUBA . YDI would be known as Y SCUBA also.

Ah, kinda like SDI is known as S SCUBA? No, when it's examined, the logic of the concept doesn't hold up. Assuming the name remains unchanged, YDI will be known as YDI, not Y SCUBA. Y SCUBA was to distinguish the YMCA SCUBA Program from all the other YMCA Programs. Since YDI doesn't have those other programs, it will never be known as Y SCUBA. YMCA is a protected name. YSCUBA is a protected name. The letter Y is not protected. This is silly.

Ah, kinda like SDI is known as S SCUBA? No, when it's examined, the logic of the concept doesn't hold up. Assuming the name remains unchanged, YDI will be known as YDI, not Y SCUBA. Y SCUBA was to distinguish the YMCA SCUBA Program from all the other YMCA Programs. Since YDI doesn't have those other programs, it will never be known as Y SCUBA. YMCA is a protected name. YSCUBA is a protected name. The letter Y is not protected. This is silly.

You think it is silly,,,well that is your right. Your the only one so far. Jim agrees with me. Look at his post above yours. Tom L. is going to the National Y offices in Chicago next week to work something out. The YDI website has been shut down. Silly?? The National Y doesn't want the use of a name with "Y"...they think it is too close to the program they shut down. Silly? If one looked at the website, it said "Continuing 50 years of tradition". I know personally PADI divers,,SSI divers,,others that use just the name "Y SCUBA"...Heard it many times. How many times have you heard someone say they are going to the "Y" to shoot hoops? They don't always say "YMCA" but you know where they are going.
I will agree with you in saying SDI is not known as S SCUBA, just like TDI is not known as T SCUBA. ------NOW THAT IS SILLY !! If the name YDI was used, people would always ask what the Y stands for...It would have to be said either "Young" or "Youth" unless you can think of something else? Either one, using "Y" reflects the program that was just shut down. Having a worldwide scuba program that reflects the name "YOUTH" is really limiting...Now THAT would be silly,,,anyone over 18 need not apply?

Last edited:
caver:
You think it is silly,,,well that is your right.

Yes, it is. I'm surprised you think a letter is protected.

caver:
Your the only one so far.

My what is the only one so far?

caver:
The National Y doesn't want the use of a name with "Y"...they think it is too close to the program they shut down.

The program hasn't shut down, it's merely no longer associated with the YMCA. The program is continuing.

caver:
Silly? If one looked at the website, it said "Continuing 50 years of tradition".

That's accurate. The program is the same one that started in 1959. Regardless of the name, and honestly the name doesn't really matter, the program is continuing. Taking the Y from the name will not change that.

caver:
I know personally PADI divers,,SSI divers,,others that use just the name "Y SCUBA"...Heard it many times.

True, but that is not the proposed name.

caver:
How many times have you heard someone say they are going to the "Y" to shoot hoops? They don't always say "YMCA" but you know where they are going.

I've never heard it, but I'll concede that it's probably common in other areas. I don't see why it's relevant. YDI would not be referred to as "the Y."

caver:
I will agree with you in saying SDI is not known as S SCUBA, just like TDI is not known as T SCUBA. ------NOW THAT IS SILLY !!

And the same would be true of YDI.

caver:
It would have to be said either "Young" or "Youth" unless you can think of something else? Either one, using "Y" reflects the program that was just shut down. Having a worldwide scuba program that reflects the name "YOUTH" is really limiting...Now THAT would be silly,,,anyone over 18 need not apply?

Naw, that would make it too much like Young Men's Christian Association. I could understand their objection if it stood for Young. I also agree that would be too limiting. The name should be inclusive, not exclusive. You Diving Internationally immediately comes to mind. It includes everyone in diving everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom