Doubles wet - 80s 0r 120s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucy's Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been diving PST steel 120s for some time in a vulcanized rubber drysuit in cold waters off New Jersey. I am utilizing a Dive Rite classic dual bladder wing. I do not run an LP line to the backup power inflator. I was tought that when diving dry the suit provides some degree of redundant bouyancy, and on balance when considering the risk of a runaway power inflator its best to not run a LP hose to it. It is still available for oral inflation. I tie it off the the cannister light I side mount on the backplate with light weight surgical tubing, that way its always where I can get it but I can rip it away from the can and get it to my mouth if needed.

These are no deco dives off the Jersey shore where the boat requires full redundancy, and doubles meet that requirment. I typically just do two dives on the set and have maybe 1000 to 1300 PSI left over.

I carry no lead at all in this configuration.

I am considering a vacation to warmer waters (i.e. diving wet) but still want to dive doubles. I will be driving there so I can bring whatever I want.

I understand the deal with double 80s when diving wet, how a lot of people go that route because they get bouyant when near empty, and this is considered a safety feature.

I do have access to doubled 80s, so I can dive either the 120s or 80s.

I think I would prefer to dive the 120s because its what I am used to and would give me more than enough air to keep up with dive buddies (who will likely be diving single 100s with some form of pony as a bailout). I would run an LP line to the backup bladder in this case. I would further have a large lift bag and SMB as potential backup bouyancy. The location would have a bottom within the dive plan depths.

Thoughts?

If you have a hard bottom within dive plan depths, then I would have no problem diving the 120's. I have both a set of steel 120s and a set of AL80's, and have taken tech classes in warm water in a wetsuit/80's and in cold water in DS/120's. Honestly if you get the weighting and trim weighting dialed in then they don't really dive all that differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom