Gas Consumption Rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, so there I was in Cozumel on a cattle dive drifting peacefully along looking at all the pretty fish, turtles and alike. I check my gauges as I am prone to doing from time to time and I notice that I'm nearing the pressure at which I would typically turn a dive... I like to leave a small safety margin such that if there's any oddness that happens I won't drown, typically this means being on the surface with about 500psi in an AL80.

So I signal to my Buddy that I'm low on air (the agreed upon turn signal) and he looks at me as if to say "***??" and signals that he'd prefer to give it a few more minutes. Now I'm the first to admit that I'm not the kind of guy that can breathe of an 80 all day long and still have gas for the next day of diving but give me a break, if someone calls a turn you turn and you don't give your buddy a hard time about it... maybe it's just me.

Next time I'm bringing along my own buddy.

if someone calls a turn you turn and you don't give your buddy a hard time about it... maybe it's just me.

It's not just you.

We may razz eachother about gas consumption now and again... on the surface. But during a dive, when anyone says it's over, it's over.

Find a new buddy. Indicating low on air and turning a dive is not a request, it is a demand.

Okay, let's think about this...
Signalling that you are low on gas is stating a fact that is not in question. In other words, it's not like you can say, "You don't want to turn? Okay, well, we'll do it your way."
You don't have another practical option. Your partner should heed your judgement and turn, just as the dive should terminate for ANY reason provided by EITHER diver (I'm cold, my ears are having problems, or "I just don't feel comfortable and want to go up" are ALL valid reasons to turn the dive.) All your partner has lost is a few minutes underwater. He has to get over it and be a buddy.

Bad buddy.

... no cookie!!!

tstormdiver wrote, "For me with an insta- buddy or any buddy,...... Any diver, can end any dive, at any time, for any reason, no questions asked. Make sure you clarify that with your buddy BEFORE the dive"

AMEN... and I'll add that, when I'm diving as a DM or as just yer' buddy I make it a practice to state PRECISELY what tstormdiver just said. A lot of times my buddy(s) may say, "Yea... we know that." To which I'll respond, "Well, I'm stating it anyway... as much for my benefit as for yours."

Time to find a new buddy...

What??? Are you selfish??? If he is not ready to turn then you do not turn. That simple. :D Of course this is a ridiculous scenario that should never have happened. You reach the turn pressure you turn. 'Nuff said. I say that guy deserves to be diving alone. The good thing is, you were in the right and hopefully you never have to dive with him again. It seems like a common sense thing....but as tstormdiver said....clear the air before the dive even if it should be known and clear. Now we all know.

So what happened after he said let's wait a bit? I hope you were already safely ascending after grabbing the guys fins and dragging him :)joke:)...seriously I hope he smartened up immediately and you surfaced with air to spare.

There are certain underwater universal dive signals that are in the command category......'turn the dive' is one of them!

So what happened after he said let's wait a bit?

I convinced him to turn by signaling and then starting my accent... There was still plenty to see at the 15foot safety :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom