Choosing between Oceanic VT3 and Atom 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this subject has been raised before but I thought I ask anyway. I am buying my first dive computer. After talking to my LDS and reading posts here I have narrowed the list down to Oceanic VT3 and Atom 2. Basically I want a wrist sized air/nitrox air integrated hoseless computer that utilizes relatively liberal dive algorithms and is priced lower than Suunto. Buddy check feature is a plus (although I understand I'll have to pay extra $400 to get extra transmitter) and PC compatibility is another plus. Both VT3 and Atom 2.0 are currently priced at $650 (online authorized dealers) including one transmitter and no data cable (extra $100). I understand feature-wise the units are identical so it comes down to the display size and the number of buttons to push. I prefer smaller size of Atom as I am trying to minimize the chance of banging the unit against another piece of gear getting in/out of the water. I have seen a number of reports of Atoms malfunctioning/replaced under warranty and then malfunctioning again. Are Atoms more prone to failure? Is there any information on Atom 3 coming out at some point in the near future? It seems Oceanic runs a $200 promotion on both unit (which I assume resulted in the current price break) - is $650 a good price for this package or should I wait till Christmas time? Any comments are appreciated.

To my knowledge there has been no info on an Atom 3.0 althought Oceanic has announced a new PDC with dual user selectable algorithms. As for the choice between VT3 and Atom 2.0 aside from size and watch functions on the Atom 2.0... as PDCs they are more so alike that eyesight may be the final determining factor. If you site is good a Atom 2.0 is nice and compact. If you need a bigger display to ease the burden on your eyes go with the VT3. The transmitters are the same and interchangeable. I had a VT3 that I passed on to my wife as she started diving and replaced it with the Atom 2.0. My wife wears glasses for reading and has no probelms seeing the VT3. I however usually wear a watch, have good vision and will substitute the Atom 2.0 for my G shock during dive vacations.

To my knowledge there has been no info on an Atom 3.0 althought Oceanic has announced a new PDC with dual user selectable algorithms.

Thanks. Is there any specifics on the new device? I understand both VT3 and Atom support user-selectable deco conservatism - will the new PDC support RGBM in addition to dive tables? Is there any point in waiting for the new computer at all?

I use a VT3 as my primary and a Geo (basically, the non-AI version of the Atom) as my back-up. In terms of PDC capabilities, there's really no difference between the Atom and VT3, they can both do the same things. RAWalker summed the big differences up well. The Atom is a lot smaller than the VT3. Being just a little bigger than the average sized dive watch and is also a watch. The VT3 displays a lot more info on the main dive screen than the Atom. Having independent graphs for ascent, nitrogen, and oxygen. The VT3 also has a air time remaining timer that the Atom doesn't have. There's probably a couple of other things I forgot, but I haven't had my afternoon coffee yet so my brains starting to sputter.:coffee:

Here's a post you might find interesting--> Oceanic 2009 Catalog

I know this subject has been raised before but I thought I ask anyway. I am buying my first dive computer. After talking to my LDS and reading posts here I have narrowed the list down to Oceanic VT3 and Atom 2. Basically I want a wrist sized air/NITROX air integrated hose-less computer that utilizes relatively liberal dive algorithms and is priced lower than Suunto. Buddy check feature is a plus (although I understand I'll have to pay extra $400 to get extra transmitter) and PC compatibility is another plus. Both VT3 and Atom 2.0 are currently priced at $650 (online authorized dealers) including one transmitter and no data cable (extra $100). I understand feature-wise the units are identical so it comes down to the display size and the number of buttons to push. I prefer smaller size of Atom as I am trying to minimize the chance of banging the unit against another piece of gear getting in/out of the water. I have seen a number of reports of Atoms malfunctioning/replaced under warranty and then malfunctioning again. Are Atoms more prone to failure? Is there any information on Atom 3 coming out at some point in the near future? It seems Oceanic runs a $200 promotion on both unit (which I assume resulted in the current price break) - is $650 a good price for this package or should I wait till Christmas time? Any comments are appreciated.

Another option to consider is the Aeris Elite T3. It is basically the same computer as the VT3 with the display arranged slightly different. I actually preferred the Aeris T3 display layout over the VT3 display layout. Aeris and Oceanic are sister companies and both made by Pelagic which is owned by the company that owns both Aeris and Oceanic.

LeisurePro has the complete Elite T3 package for $625 (includes dive computer, transmitter and USB cable). It says Elite on the web site but it is actually an Elite T3. I know I bought one a few months ago from them.

It is something worth considering since it will give you the best of both worlds (lower price but easy to read display). At $625 this would be less than you would be paying for the ATOM 2 with the data cable (based on your posting).

Another option to consider is the Aeris Elite T3. At $625 this would be less than you would be paying for the ATOM 2 with the data cable (based on your posting).

Thank you for your suggestion. T3 is another possibility but as I understand Leisure Pro is not an authorized Oceanic reseller and as such unit carries no manufacturer warranty - is that correct? I know LeisurePro includes their own warranty of some sort but I feel I would rather pay a little more and deal with Oceanic directly.

OC1 coming out in beginning of 2009 certainly looks like another interesting alternative - especially considering digital compass and deep stop feature in addition to two user-selectable deco algorithms and titanium case. I wonder how its going to be priced though - no info on that yet?

You are not correct! LeisurePro is most definately a Oceanic Authorized reseller and as such new products sold by them come with a full manufacturers warranty. You can check for yourself on Oceanic's website. LeisurePro in located in New York.

First off, I oops'ed. It's the T3 that doesn't have the air time remaining countdown. The Atom 2.0 does.

Second, it dawned on me that the price your listing for the VT3 & Atom 2.0 look like the prices for the receivers only. Make sure that whoever you're getting it from is selling the Atom 2.0 Complete or the VT3 Complete. If it's costing $650.00 chances are it's not coming with the transmitter. The VT3 & Atom 2.0 Completes run around $799.00. from authorized dealers. It would be worth it to email or call and ask to make sure. Preferably email. That way you'll have a record if the computer comes without a transmitter when they said it would.

Last, if your buddy is using an Oceanic (Datamask, Atom 1.0, Atom 2.0, VT3, VT Pro) or Aeris (CompuMask, T3, Elite, Epic) that uses the same type of transmitter you don't need to buy any spare transmitters. You just use your buddy's transmitter by programming his/her transmitters ID code into your computer under the buddy function.

Thank you for your suggestion. T3 is another possibility but as I understand Leisure Pro is not an authorized Oceanic reseller and as such unit carries no manufacturer warranty - is that correct? I know LeisurePro includes their own warranty of some sort but I feel I would rather pay a little more and deal with Oceanic directly.

OC1 coming out in beginning of 2009 certainly looks like another interesting alternative - especially considering digital compass and deep stop feature in addition to two user-selectable deco algorithms and titanium case. I wonder how its going to be priced though - no info on that yet?

LeisurePro is an authorized Oceanic/Aeris according the the Oceanic/Aeris web sites.

Supplying therir own warranty might be true for ScubaPro but not Oceanic/Aeris where LeisurePro is an authorized dealer.

Just for interest, why haven't you looked at the AERIS EPIC?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom