Rescue Class Q & A - Avg Cost; Avg Format

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papa Steve

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I realize that market forces will have a big influence on pricing but I wanting to get some feedback on what the going rate is in your area for a rescue class.
Also, if you have taken or teach the class, would you mind sharing what you think is an appropriate syllibus for a rescue class?

I took the PADI course in Dubai, preceded by the pre-requisite EFR class. The cost was 3000 AED (just under 830 USD), but I expect it to be way cheaper where you are!

EFR is only a prereq if you have no CPR+First Aid qualification.

The PADI course has a laid down format. Some bookwork (with questions), some classroom with videos. Then rescue techniques in the pool; responding to panicking divers on the surface and under water, and bringing an unresponsive diver to the surface and out of the pool, including removing their (and your) BCD while rescue breathing and towing the victim. Lastly, there are 4 dives in the sea (we did two from shore and two from a boat), where the pool lessons are put into practice during some scaringly genuine scenarios (these included compass search and recover techniques). Our last scenario (performed in teams of 4) had two unresponsive divers to find (they were together, breathing off each others octos - hmm!), bring to surface, tow to boat (with rescue breathing), pull into boat and administer CPR and oxygen.

It was an extremely rewarding course - the best I have seen with PADI. It was hard work, but taught me a lot about myself, as well as how to be a proper buddy! I think they ought to teach some of the 'things to look for' during OW (and I think some organisations do this).

Around here, the Rescue course is $175 and the PADI EFR (CPR/First Aid) course is $75.

There will be some addition expenses for the books & video ($100 for Rescue $60 for EFR) and the costs associated with travel to Monterey.

Figure around $450 (more or less) for the pair. See Sacramento

Richard

I have also been considering taking the SSI Stress and Rescue course, which is $185 here in Central Florida, not including CPR/First Aid. I've been researching it because some years ago I took the Red Cross Lifeguard certification course and wanted to know if those skills will be useful. I have also been reading "SCUBA Diving Safety" by Dan Orr and Eric Douglas which is turning out to be an excellent refresher and prep for the course. If nothing else, it will make for good reference.

Based on kadleck's comments, I would highly recommend the book as prep work for the course, during which, one of the most important skills you will learn will be to recognize (and react properly to) panicked divers... because that could me the difference between you being a rescuer or rescuee.

Ken

I have SSI Stress & Rescue Book in prostine condition available if anyone's interested.

$20.00 shipped within the continental U.S.

I took PADI rescue in October. For both sets of books and DVDs (Rescue and EFR) and the instruction, check out scenarios, etc. it was $325 from my LDS here in WI.

I enjoyed it and it was a great learning experience.

For SSI Rescue it was $425AUD ($297USD, wow the Aussie dollar has dropped!) and for DAN CPR/First Aid it was $225AUD ($157USD). That included everything.

In Alberta I did the Naui rescue class for 200.00 CAD. Money well spent.

$156 - PADI - Rescue class (includes material and PIC card)
$172 - PADI - Emergency First Responder + DAN O2 Provider (includes materials and both PIC cards)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom