Cleaning My Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sstriano

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What do you guys/gals clean your computers with?

I have a Gaillieo SOL, and i just rinse it with FW and then dry it off with a damp towel.

Do i need to use some sort of micro-fiber towel to avoid scratching the screen/finish when drying?

Thanks,
Sam

I do the same thing as you. I use a soft cloth to wipe the LCD but nothing fancy.

I have over 100 dives on my sol, and I simple rinse it in warm water. I have never wiped the LCD. I am on my second plastic covering: I seem to scrape these on bottom formations, cameras, and boat ladders. They are inexpensive to replace.

These units are rugged, and I like how they perform. They are really nice for underwater photographers.

Cheers,

Dan

The most important bit to cleaning a computer is to pull it out of the wrist or console boot and soak it in fresh water every once in a while.

Salt crystals can form on the sensor and cause bogus depth readings. On most computers the sensor port is a tiny hole on the back of the computer. A wrist mount or console may trap saltwater in that area, eventually causing salt crystals to form inside the sensor port.

If I'm not going to be diving for a couple of months, then I pull the computer out of the console and give it a couple hour soak in lukewarm water.

Don't sweat scratches on the faceplate too much. Most of them pretty much disappear when submerged.

I use a Veo 180n. I do everything above, but since my computer (not sure about yours) is water activated and has a few nooks, I use rubbing alcohol to dry out any residual water after I soak it. This helps to make it shut off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom