Internet wireless in Alona Beach - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Globe versus Smart wireless internet connection in Tawala (Alona Beach area) of Bohol.

I initially purchased (June 08) a Smart "Bro" prepaid internet modem kit for 4500 Pesos for use with my laptop. I live 0.8 km from the cell towers. The modem shows a 3G connection type between 2 to 4 bars of strength. There is no other way to describe Smart's service here in Panglao other than it "sucks". The connection gets dropped frequently combined with periods of 0 "transmit" and "receive" rates. You get charged in 30 minute increments and I'm lucky if I get a workable connection for 15 out of a 30 minute period. Smart's answer to this is having a rep phone you and offer useless suggestions.

Globe currently (Nov 08) has a promotion for their Globe "Visibility" modem kit for 2500 Pesos which is also available on a pre-paid basis in 15 minute increments equaling the same cost as Smart Bro. The connection type shows GPRS or UMTS with 4 to 5 bars of signal strength. There are no "0" periods of "transmit" and "receive" and the speeds are satisfactory.

smart.jpg

globe.jpg

Check with the local cable TV company. Many are offering Internet service now <you might have done it already>.....

i got the smart bro too. and so far, i have experienced the same problem at the dumaguete airport and in pasig. i know globe has a better hold than smart in the visayas. but in Metro Manila?!

Check with the local cable TV company. Many are offering Internet service now <you might have done it already>.....

The local cable company for Alona Beach is Zafra Cable and they get (pirate?) their signal from Dream Satellite. I'm lucky to get a picture from them. They don't have internet service.

Only hard line internet service here is DSL and I'm not paying for a phone line to get it from Globe.

The Globe Visibility is working great.

Back
Top Bottom