Phillip Island or Nelson Bay or...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

escher123

Reaction score
I'm a novice diver and am planning on a trip to Melbourne in Feb next year. After getting responses to my previous posting, we're thinking GBR will be a bit far to get to. Are Philip Island or Nelson Bay (which are closer to Melbourne) any good for diving? Any good resorts (upto AUD 250-300) and dive centers that you can recommend? We're looking at non-liveaboards. Also wanted to know about what kind of marine life we can expect to see, visibility levels, currents, etc. Apart from Phillip Island and Nelson Bay, are there any other islands close to Melbourne where theres plenty of beach and the diving is good (and easy!)? :wink:

I'm a novice diver and am planning on a trip to Melbourne in Feb next year. After getting responses to my previous posting, we're thinking GBR will be a bit far to get to. Are Philip Island or Nelson Bay (which are closer to Melbourne) any good for diving? Any good resorts (upto AUD 250-300) and dive centers that you can recommend? We're looking at non-liveaboards. Also wanted to know about what kind of marine life we can expect to see, visibility levels, currents, etc. Apart from Phillip Island and Nelson Bay, are there any other islands close to Melbourne where theres plenty of beach and the diving is good (and easy!)? :wink:

Hi Escher, never dived at Phillip Island but I hear it is great. I plan to go soon :) But there is plenty of diving in Melbourne besides Phillip Island that you can make day trips to. Basically all around the bay :) so you don't need an island. I do not think there are 'resorts' around but there is accommodation near most dive sites. With Phillip Island the only charter I have heard of is rusthunters.com, they are new I believe and I have heard they are good (but no personal experience with them). Never heard of a liveaboard in Melbourne so don't worry about that :)

For boat operators around Port Phillip Bay, try the Dive Victoria website at www.divevictoria.com.au. They will charge $58 per boat dive, not sure what other charters are like as I have not used them. Never had a problem with Dive Victoria, they are very professional, however they rarely do double dives which some people find a pain. If you need gear hire or to buy other diving equipment you can hire at Dive Vic but I prefer Scuba Doctor in Rye at The Scuba Doctor - Home - Scuba Service and Repair, Dive Shop, Courses and Trips. Dive Victoria runs boats out of Queenscliff or Portsea which are both about an hour and 15 minutes from the CBD on opposite sides of Port Phillip Bay. On the Dive Victoria site you can view different dive sites that they go to and also their itinerary (when it comes closer to your visit).

There are plenty of shore dives too, and some good sites include Portsea Pier, Rye Pier, Blairgowrie Pier, Mornington Pier, The Springs near Queenscliff, Flinders Pier, Black Rock Yacht Club, and a few others depending on what marine life you like? If you google any of those names on google maps in Victoria you can see where they are.

As far as marine life, there are tonnes of things to see, sharks, all kinds of fish, colourful soft corals, cephalopods, and so on. If you go to my gallery here (and ignore the first page as those pictures are Sydney pictures :wink:) it might give you an idea. My favourite local photographer though (and much much more skilled than I!) has a website on flickr > Flickr: JimSwims' Photostream. You can see more marine life there.

Visibility ranges from 3-20m. Averages 5-10m. Temperature in February will be the warmest at 19-22C approximately. Currents can be a problem as dives inside the Bay are done at slackwater, so if that ends early you will have to be comfortable doing a midwater ascent launching an SMB in a strong current (there are drift dives you can do also). The boats rarely anchor so most dives you are picked up by the boat wherever you end up. You can try navigate back to the shot line but sometimes the boat brings up the shot before you finish your dive, or in other situations the current will have picked up so no point in swimming against it :) So I would highly recommend bringing an SMB if you plan to do boat diving. With shore diving, currents I don't find too big a problem but surge can be I find. If that bothers you I find Blairgowrie Pier to be particularly protected and pretty much diveable in all kinds of weather.

Anyway hope that helps and yell out if you have more questions! :)

is there a Nelson Bay in melbourne???

if you are talking about the Nelson Bay NSW, its about 2hrs north by car from Sydney

Nelson Bay is a really really nice place to dive with lots of fish life. they have boat dives & shore dives BUT their shore dive is tide dependant so dont make a mistake and think you can dive it anytime you want.

there is only one dive shop in Nelson Bay and its Pro Dive and they can also provide very basic accomodation (ie, dive lodge with bunk beds)

cheers

is there a Nelson Bay in melbourne???

Not that I have heard of! :) I presumed escher123 was talking about Nelson Bay, NSW.

hi escher123,
As Sarah has said above, Melbourne has a MASSIVE range of options when it comes to diving. No matter where you choose to go, you will certainly be spoilt for choice. The beauty of diving around both Phillip Island and Port Phillip Bay is that you will have places to go no matter what the weather is doing.

Around Phillip Island we have some fantastic dives sites to suit all levels of experience, both wreck and reef. As well as boat dives, the Island offers some excellent shore diving, but shore access isn't always easy. If you do come to Phillip Island I'd be more than happy to show you some of our sites - If you want any more info please feel free to check out our website at rusthunters.com, or drop me an email.

Cheers,
Pete

(PS- I'm not sure if you're bringing your own gear, but we also have gear for hire if there's anything you need...)

Back
Top Bottom