anyone who hates diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dub

Reaction score
This probably isn't the place to ask this question.....but I was wondering how often people begin diving classes and decide they hate it or run into complications and realize it isn't for them. I would be curious to hear stories of why it wasn't for them or what complications may have occured. Anyone have stories of friends or family that didn't share the passion?

My wife tried scuba and made it through the classwork and some of part one, but she quit during the confined water because of feelings of claustrophobia, etc. I think that a pretty good percentage of people are the same.

whose husband had insisted that she get certed hated diving...

She never got more than 6 inches underwater without going into hysterics...she ended up quitting and leaving in tears.

I have met many people here who have started courses and chickened out, etc. A nurse at my doctors office went through the classes and pool sessions and backed out when it came to the OW dives....yet, here's a person who deals with blood and guts and other "ickies" without even blinking.

What's a little funny to me is that the most common issue I hear is that people are afraid of sharks. They just don't want to believe you when you say it's not typical to even see a shark, much less get attacked or whatever it is they're afraid of.

You also usually know the ones who are definitely not going to like it when you try to explain dive physiology and nitrogen loading etc., and their eyes start to glaze. I sometimes have to curb myself and just stop talking about it.... :) I guess you either get the dive bug or you don't.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was only hearing about the people who loved diving and I felt i needed a more realistic view of it.

The thing is, I really don't even get in the water much. I have only been swimming maybe twice in the last 10 years. Diving sounds fun but I'm just trying to figure out if i will be one that goes into hysterics. Everyone telling me the whole key is to not panic-- well frankly worries me. It's not like i can help freaking out! lol And I have to admit the shark thing was a concern....until i heard all the other horror stories of what could go wrong--- now I have bigger concerns. It just seems like I'm one of those people that if there is a chance of something going wrong, it will.

Funny tho cuz I worked in a hospital too and saw alot of blood and funk-- and i love things like rollercoasters and freefalls. I guess I just have to try diving to really know.

My wife tried it in a pool in Maui... and decided she would get certified... first class turned out to be on the beach ending in an OW dive to 40' while the instructor/photographer spent his time taking pictures (for a price) of the tourists.

That was a long time ago.

She wants nothing to do with scuba.

On a happier note.... she is 100% in favor of me doing all the diving I want as long as I don't impose upon her to ever try it again. We are both very happy with this arraingment. :D

Now here is something I have notice during my years diving:

There are plenty of folks who are torn between fear and joy when it comes to diving. They like diving and really do enjoy being UW but their enjoyment is seriously impacted by their fear.

If this is you... may I say that confidence should come from competence. If you are incompetent then it is a good thing to fear rather that have the false confidence of nincompoopery.

But fear should be displaced with confidence through training and the gaining of skills. Gaining certifications will do nothing for you. There are plenty of phobic instructors, DMs and what have you.

Get skill... with it will come competence and confidence.

nincompoopery------hehe funny stuff

Oh i definitely feel the fear pug-- no worries there!

When I took my NAUI training in Hawaii in 1978 we had a couple good looking gals in the class... I would try to get buddied up with one of them from time to time if we were doing rescue swims and things as they were smaller than the Marines and Army guys like myself and easy to drag through the water.

Anyway, the time for the final checkout dive came and I got buddied up with this one gal from the class. As we walked in off the beach, she took my hand, and as we started swimming into deeper water her grip got tighter, and tighter and tighter. I finally couldn't stand it any more, and moved her hand to my wrist of my right arm. After a little while my hand was becoming bright red from the blood trapped in it because of the grip she had on my arm. It became pretty apparent to me that this gal, who had been through every bit of the training with me was just terrified! One of the final things that dive was a 30' free ascent to the surface and when the instructor turned to me, I peeled her hand off my arm and stuck it on his! He got to take her to the surface first, and she was qualified! I doubt that she ever did any diving after that.

Chalk that up as an old diver story....I swear every word of it is true.

lol--- good story tom!

I'm just happy to know you didn't mind her holding your hand. I hear of these stories of how easy it is to lose someone underwater and i think to myself I am going to be joined at the hip to my dive buddy! hehe

I am noticing it seems mostly the ones who hate it are women! yikes

Newly certified in September, but my initial fears were not the water, but the zillion bits of equipment!! Once I realized I just had to pay attention, but a brain surgeon degree was not required to operate everything, I got in the water and became addicted!!!

Although I must say that most people I talk to that are interested in the idea of diving, usually express a fear of mask claustrophobia, or general claustrophobia in the water that keeps them from trying it out.

Back
Top Bottom