MA Scallop Dives -- Non-residents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vaq

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to find out what the law/regulations are for taking scallops off of Mass (Gloucester/Rockport) as a non-resident. I did the requisite web search (as well as asking a few boat captains and other divers) but can find nothing definitive. I'm sure someone has already solved this riddle. Thanks.

Last edited:
Be sure you don't short-change yourself with an estimated "bushel" (8 gallons dry measure in the shell). That never seems to rise to the amount of 4 quarts of meat! :wink:

There are some great charters, like Fran Marcoux's Daybreaker, which allow shucking on board and they even lend a hand! Getting the scallops shucked and on ice right away is the way to go. Some charters don't allow shucking on board.

I'd suggest emailing him and asking to be put on his mailing list if you're going to be looking for scallop charters (and any other kind). I had two very productive trips with him this past June. He's super.

FRANM52@aol.com

By the way, I'm just a satisfied customer of Fran's. (One of the many, which is why is doesn't need to advertise....) :)

Of course, if you're taking your own boat out, I'd be glad to guide you.... :D

Dave C

By the way, I'm just a satisfied customer of Fran's. (One of the many, which is why is doesn't need to advertise....) :)

I don't think Fran has any other kind of customer. And I agree, he's great. :D

Vince,

There are operators running Scallop Charters in Portsmouth in the Piscataqua River. They of course run them during slack. No permit is required on the NH side however if end up coming up on ME side, you will need a permit.

I have been told can get scallops from shore dive (long swim, in channel) off of New Castle Island Common. Again, would have to time dive for slack. I haven't tried this but looking to do so. I would bring a lift bag to haul scallops back so won't have to drag them. (assuming get enought to haul w/ lift bag)

Thanks guys, all great and helpful info. I've heard nothing but great things about Fran but have not been able to get out with him yet. I'm doing my PADI Wreck cert over the next month and my instructor is a big fan of Frans. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom