How to become a commercial diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shunshun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am in advanced class and have taken rescue class. I wonder how one is going to become a comercial diver after the advanced class. I assume you must become a Diver Master first. What else is ahead of it? Thank you.

Before you pay for all the classes, make sure you really want to do it....speak to someone who's doing it.

Simple --- charge for your time.

Seriously, there's a difference between what we generally call commercial divers - who do mostly underwater construction, inspection or research - and professional divers, such as divemasters and instructors.

Step one would be to decide which direction is of interest.

The OP said Commercial Diver training.

He did say commercial diver, but he also assumes one must become a DM before being considered "commercial" - he may not be aware of the difference in terms..

He did say commercial diver, but he also assumes one must become a DM before being considered "commercial" - he may not be aware of the difference in terms..

Well hopefully he is doing his homework beyond just this thread.

Well hopefully he is doing his homework beyond just this thread.

Hi Texdiveguy, thanks for your advice. I have been doing research on the comercial divers training. I have ordered an catalog from the website you gave me.

Cheetah223, I think I did got confused about the comercial diving route. What I meant was that I wanted to convert hobbie to profession. Thank you.

Hi Texdiveguy, thanks for your advice. I have been doing research on the comercial divers training. I have ordered an catalog from the website you gave me.

Cheetah223, I think I did got confused about the comercial diving route. What I meant was that I wanted to convert hobbie to profession. Thank you.

Best wishes!!!

The OP should remember that there are many ways to be a proffessional diver. He could become a DM or instructor, he could go to comercial diving school and work on an oil rig or construction projects, he could get a PHD and become a research diver, he could be become a media diver and work for TV and movie productions or as an underwater stock photographer, or he could join the Navy and hope to make it though the SEALs. The fact that he doesn't really know what a commercial/proffesional diver is leads me to believe this might not be the best career path for him at this juncture.

Back
Top Bottom