Wide Angle Lens alteration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerome_Smeets

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

The external side of my Ikelite wide angle lens is alterated as shown on those pictures :

home.scarlet.be/jeromesmeets/divers/Dsc00477.jpg
home.scarlet.be/jeromesmeets/divers/Dsc00476.jpg
Sorry not allowed to directly post pictures before 5 posts...

Does anyone know possible causes (corrosive product in rincing water?) and eventually treatments ?

This cause not too much trouble underwater but surface shots are now impossible.

Thanks.

PS : some of my videos at youtube.com/jeromesmeets

Sorry for your trouble with the W20 lens. The coating on the front of that lens is very sensitive to light and saltwater. Usually the problem in your pictures arises from saltwater being left to dry on the front of the lens.

We have had varied success using Novus Polish (available through a google search) on the front of the lens. Or the lens can be sent back to us for replacement of the front element at a reduced cost.

It is best to thoroughly rinse the lens in fresh water after each dive and dry with a soft lint-free cloth. Store the lens out of direct sunlight when not in use.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks a lot for all the complete information trough forum and private message.
I need now to try it out in the water again after a polishing treatment that seems to have worked fine.

After some inquieries in local photographer workshops, the polishing product sample was given to me by a guy fixing car windshields :)

update on that one : the polishing worked just fine and helped me a few months.

...but the result can be only appreciated now by creatures living about 800m deep in the Egyptian Ras Mohammed area :D

Dropped the lens (went out of port by accidental shock) just before a drift dive.
I went flat on the platform but failed to catch it :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom