Where in Indo Dec 28-Jan 9th? (My first post)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a pretty sweet dive trip in Indonesia set up for December. However, I have Dec. 28 until Jan 9th open. Realizing the weather will likely be bad, here are my options:

1. Bali: easy to move around and dive where the weather is good, plus manta point is suppose to be great at that time of the year

2. Bunaken/Lembeh: Heard the weather around that time can shut things down

3. Pulau Weh: Have yet to hear a single bad word about the place; some people place it on the top of their list

IÃÎ also thinking that instead of hoping for average conditions and praying to avoid really bad condition, I should pay extra and head to Phuket. I thought about Sipadan but the weather isnÃÕ suppose to be that great. I will have already been to Raja Ampat, Komodo and Alor.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MJG

I was in Lembeh last December and the weather was perfect. I just got back about 10 days ago and the weather again was great.

I was also in Raja Ampat-Sorido resort last January again weather was perfect.

Regarding thinking about diving between Malaysia and Indonesia. To me no comparison in the diving Indonesia all the way!

I think the weather in Indonesia and regional is more unpredictable now.
We visited Bali early august - instead of expected good weather we experienced high surf, windy, poor viz and at least twice raining in the night. Almost impossible to enter the water at the wreck. Many south dweller had to cancel or move to other area.
The Balinesse believe it was caused by the fight between "pawang hujan" (rain tamer) to protect their ngaben ritual. But, my 9 years old daughter sure it's global warming phenomenon - since her teacher gave her homework to study effect of greenhouse during that summer holiday.

My friends told me this Oct. bali was perfect.

Anyway - we'll be visiting Bunaken & Lembeh on Dec. 14 - 21; will update the weather condition.

I had planned a trip to Thailand, Bali and Cairns, Australia in August 2006. I spent the first 10 days diving in Thailand (East coast is very dissapointing) and was supposed to spend four days relaxing in Bali before heading to Cairns for 12 days of diving the GBR. I lasted less than three days in Cairns and, after a very dissapointing dive trip to the GBR and a great whitewater/skydiving trip, I jumped on a plane back to Bali. The prices for rooms and food in Cairns had significantly increased between 2002 to 2006 and I made up for the extra $50 it cost for changing my flight after 24 hrs in Bali.

My dad lived in East Timor and spent a lot of time in Bali and passed on some great tips.

Only use Blue Bird taxis and always insist that the meter is used. When exiting the airport watch out for the number of people you let handle your bags. Two guys took my two bags and walked me to the cab and neither was the cab driver. I had to tip three people in the first 10 minutes.

Never pay the venders what they ask and learn to say "no thank you" a lot. They will start out at 100,000 rupiah ($1=12,600 rupiahs) and may sell it to you for 30,000. It's funny how much time you end up wasting to save a few dollars, but it's kind of fun.

If you are on a budget and want to be in the middle of everything, I recommend the Masa Inn on Poppies 1 in Kuta. Standard clean room w/ AC and cable is 200,000 rupiah (about $16) for a single and 300,000 for a double. You should always book in advance. It's a short walk to the beach in one direction and the nightclubs in the other. It's not very close to the diving areas, but the dive operators will pick you up. The food across the street was great and the meals were $2-$5 almost everywhere. If you are looking for a quiet relaxing area, this is not for you.

I only dove one day in Nusa Penida. The first dive was at Manta Point and I got to see my first manta swimming directly over me. Then a few minutes later I saw my second, third and fourth mantas. It was amazing, but the underwater swells were so bad I actually got seasick in the water. On the second dive I saw two mola mola and got to check that off my list. We hit severe thermoclines on that dive and the water temp was way too cold for my full 3/2. I was tired and cold when the third dive came and I was going to just stay in the sun on the boat but I decided to suck it up and jump in. The third dive was one of the most beautiful drift dives I have ever done. The current was strong enough that we barely had to move while we cruised along a wall looking at a huge variety of fish and coral. I have gone diving in several countries and this was one of my most memorable days of diving.

Last edited:
Quinncey...ever dive East Timor?....great diving...nobody goes there....very pristine.

No. My dad was working there with the UN and he's not exactly the type to invite me to come hang out with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom