michigan diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrotthead

Reaction score
ok so it was 85 degrees today in michigan and i really want to get in the water, and ill admit, i am a bit of a cold weather wimp. this is my first spring in michigan and i dont know at what temp people start diving again with out drysuits. im up for anydive but i shy away from the cold in general.
P.S. thermoclines suck

understand, the Michigan crew will be fully engaged in diving in about 4 weeks from now. Most will be dry but there will be many diving wet.

When I certified the first weekend in May last year in Lake Mendota, Madison, WI, the water temp was about 49 deg F. We wore 7mm two piece wetsuits w/ hoods and gloves. After being pretty cold initially, we started to get accustomed to it. At the end we actually had to stop not because of cold or lack of gas, but because my buddy was underweighted by a couple pounds and couldn't get down.

This winter was especially cold, considering the Great Lakes freezing, so you may want to hold off a few weeks;-0

I think I could probably handle 50 degrees again.

Hey Parrotthead, we dive all year long Crazyman-Style:hannibal: aka; wetsuits all year. Where are you at in the state? If you're around the Detroit area, you can come out with us on Saturday for a little puddle jump if you like. Yes thermoclines suck but one day with global warming, this will be a tropical paradise:wacko:

thank you everyone for the responses. i would love to join u this weekend but i have finals this coming week so i have to study it up, plus i am from the grand rapids area. keep in touch though, i would love to go.
i am definitely pro global warming and i think people who believe in it should come to michigan for a year. woke up this morning to cold weather again after 85 yesterday. plus, if we keep melting the ice caps, all the lands will flood and the new places to dive will increase tremendiously!!!

Heya Parrot!

What part of MI are you in right now?

Im gonna be up diving in Lake MI on May 10th....It was 83 here in Green Bay yesterday and today its a balmy 35! LOL ya gotta love the midwest!

You lost me went the word "wetsuit" came up!

I dive year 'round in my drysuit when the ice not a factor.

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
... If you're around the Detroit area, you can come out with us on Saturday for a little puddle jump if you like. ...

Score, where will you all be diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom