Best Hunting Light Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For those of you that do use a light when spear fishing under dark ledge and wrecks.

What is your preference for the light position and why?

On retractable lanyard

Gun mounted

Head mounted

Wrist mounted

Other

wrist mounted - more flexibility as to where I"m pointing the light and where I'm not when I'm shooting. Sometimes I'm dancing the light in front of the fish to distract it while I'm lining up the kill shot.

I use a gun mount in California. UK 4AA flashlight. I can put it into the rocks or under ledges further to see better. Most of our groundfish tend not to move very much and seem to pose for a shot.

I am kinda leaning toward a wrist mount on the gun wrist (not the free wrist - I have my dive computer on that wrist).

I both bug hunt and spear on sand bottoms so I can't wear anything on my wrist when reaching into holes. I use a gun muzzle mount. The 2 benefits for me are:

A. When a bug backs up and silts out a hole. I can push the gun muzzle into the hole and get some light in the back to find the bug deeper.

B. When a grouper/fish silts out a hole, I can keep both hands on my gun to make a head shot with the light on, then leave the gun on the sand to try and get a hand inside his gill plates to calm him down and remove him.

The gun mount acts as a stabilizer. Now around rocks and boulders this technique is useless since the gun will just fall and shift around.

To replace my bands I need to cut the zipties on the light to do it, but the position is worth it for my individual setup.

IMG_1470.jpg

I've been making Quivers for many years.
I like being able to remove the light, locate a hold up fish & replace it for a shot, all in seconds.
The light is at the best position for easy reach and maximum light.
The spears can be reloaded in seconds also.
2 freeshaft shots took this King down.

The UK 4AA LED light (black light in pic 2) is the best I've seen yet for spearfishing.

Chad

Attachments

• Quiver Card 1.jpg
    Quiver Card 1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 40
  • 19 lbs king-e.jpg
    19 lbs king-e.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 54
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom