Depth difference between computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfproul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
while at depth last saturday , me and my buddy noticed 10 feet difference
at 183 feet . i knew my Duo was 2-3 feet off but not that much , his oceanic VT3
was at 183 my Aeris Ai was at 183 and my Duo at 193 feet . is there other people
who had notice the same difference with their Duo ?

I dive with a uwatec as my primary and a genesis as my backup. There is a difference of 1 foot in depth and a few degrees in water temperature.

I do not own those computers, but can this be due to setup in computer for sea water and fresh water? My SUUNTO and UWATEC bottom timer shows different depth as UWATEC BT is setup just for freshwater.

good point ...i will have to see if both are fresh water ...changed the battery before
the dive so ...

nope ... fresh water ... i' ve see in the manual thay if you put a computer
in a air thight container it will damage the computer ... thats exacly what i
do when i travel .

to bad !

It doesn't make any difference what kind of water I'm in. I think it's just because they are from different manufacturers. It's nothing to worry over.

As the saying goes, a man who has a watch knows what time it is. A man who has two watches is never sure.

I have a Suunto and a Sherwood and I have never seen more than a 1 foot gap between their readings. Each claims to be accurate to within 1% of the true depth (so at 183 feet there could be a maximum discrepancy of 3.6 odd feet if one was high and the other low).

I am guessing you damaged something when you flew with it in an airtight container. Sorry.

In a previous job with a scuba manufacturer our dive computers were calibrated to be accurate within 1%, and considered to be defective if they were off by 3%. This was done mostly because it's really hard to tell on any sort of instrument if a computer is really off by 1% or not, also many factors such as temp. etc. can also influence things.
In jfproul's case, I suppose if each computer was off by 3% or even a bit less that could yield the 10 foot spread at 183-193 feet. Don't know if I'd be concerned, but I do like fisheaters saying about 2 watches
On another note, I think the "air thight container it will damage the computer" is in reference to testing it in a pressure pot with no water in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom