Do You Hate Your Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am wondering if anyone has a dive computer that they don't like. This would include those who have replaced the offending instrument. Any reason is enough, but please let me know what it was.

Some possibilities:
unreliable
could not read display
too consevative
too liberal
lacked essential feature (nitrox, backlight)

Go ahead, rant.

I have one that totally locks out when violated....the uwatec alladin pro (nitrox)........nada, frozen display! :) I'm not sure if this is the case with the newer models

Majority of the computers (not all) will lock out but still go to guage mode (mostly for liability issues; no computer manufacturer would guaranty that you will not get bent with their computer)

I just got the Uwatec Smart Pro (is that the one you are referring to?)

I read in the manual that it will only lock out if the "SOS Mode" is activated:

If the the diver remains above a depth of 0.8 m (3 feet) for more than three minutes without observing the prescribed decompression, the computer switches into SOS-mode after the dive and displays <SOS> instead of the depth. The display shows the most important information of the dive . Desaturation is further calculated including microbubbles in the tissue. Diving is again possible after 24 hours, but the SOS-mode can influence the alculations of the Smart for three days after the incident due to possible presence of microbubbles

Sebastian once bubbled...
I just got the Uwatec Smart Pro (is that the one you are referring to?)

I read in the manual that it will only lock out if the "SOS Mode" is activated:

No, I'm not refering to the SMART PRO, this is a newer model than what I have

I just recently sold my Dive Rite Ni Tek computer in lieu of an OMS Bottom Timer. I felt this computer, while nice, was TOO much info and had no gauge mode, hence would not be fitting for when I graduate to deco dives, trimix, etc.

I prefer to 'work the table's much like UP on the message board in conjunction with my V-Planner deco software on my laptop.

PS Lot cheaper too - a $140 bottom timer vs a $300 computer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom