Getting into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kf4zht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am finishing up my AOW this week, still relatively new to diving but like most hobbies in my life I am jumping in headfirst (just not with gear on). I plan on trying to dive at least every month or two for the next year or so even if they are local dives more to gain experience than sightseeing. After that I want to move on and start working on technical diving certs. In the next few years I would like to accomplish:

Full cave
Trimix
Solo diving
Wreck Penetration

I was planning to start with Cavern at ginnie springs and Intro to tech at 40 fathoms grotto. From there do the basic cave and then the CDA technical diver program. After that I am not sure, probably finish up cave and do solo.

Is that a good plan or should I rearrange my order? Also I am not as familiar with wreck diving, what are good agencys to deal with? Also does it share alot with cave (seems like it would) or is it very different?

My advice?

Experience the wonders of diving for a couple of years FIRST. There is no rush to get to tech. Allow your newly acquired skills to develop and even get close to perfection before you add a lot more to the mix. There's a lot of ocean out there to explore at normal recreational depths, so take your time and see some of it.

Welcome to SCUBA...great sport!

Take all the time you need to gain dive time and gradual experience,,,,having fun!!

In the future when the time comes a class such as this will offer you a good overview of tech diving.... http://www.tdisdi.com/index.php?did=114&site=2

Is that a good plan or should I rearrange my order? Also I am not as familiar with wreck diving, what are good agencys to deal with? Also does it share alot with cave (seems like it would) or is it very different?

I think it's a TERRIBLE idea. Slow WAY down. You're buoyancy isn't even solid yet. You have no reason to be in an overhead or diving deep. Just do a year or two of some diving, and get a handle on what you're doing.

That's my thought you're your free to ignore it.

Is that a good plan or should I rearrange my order?

No one can answer that for you. I think it's best to dive routinely, and select future training based on your own skill and experience progression.

IMO, to go from zero to hero (barely certified to full cave/wreck pen and full trimix) in a couple of years will likely take more than diving once every month or two. Try to get in the water on a weekly basis.

I plan on trying to dive at least every month or two for the next year or so
OK, if I'm reading this correctly, you are looking at doing no more than 18 days of diving a year for the "next year or so." While that might mean as many as 60 dives (if you really push the diving you do every day you dive), that isn't that much experience.

Diving no more than once a month will barely keep the skills you have at their current level, let alone gain the experience you actually need to progress.

A very good instructor responded to a similar question with this answer: "When you get tired of doing the diving your are currently doing, THEN go on to a new type of diving." I can't believe you will get tired of OW diving if you just dive once a month or two.

It's not a matter of "slow down" -- you are going slow already.

Having a pile of C cards should not be your end goal. Diving is/should be a lifetime adventure, something you grow with, not "jump in head first."

My question would be: Why do you want to get into technical diving already?

What will you get out of it that you won't get diving recreational profiles? I have a feeling it has more to do with ego and bragging rights than an actual need. I don't even know of a reputable instructor that would even accept you into a technical program this early, and if they would that would be a red flag to run the other way.

The instructor I will be training with after the first of the year did a full interview process. It was like a job interview. I had to explain why I want to do this, how I am qualified, what do I want out of the training, etc.

Like others have said: Slow down

Nobody is going to be impressed with your card collection if you can't manage the basics with a solid level of competency.

I think this article says it really well-
There are various reasons why I cave dive, but cave diving in itself has always been a challenge to me, in so much as one must always be trying to better oneself. There are a number of ways to do this, we can be mentored by others or simply strive to dive with more experienced people in a less formal mentoring process. Another option is to go the route of continuing education such as taking a scooter class where we will learn towing strategies, out of air scenarios and gas planning or a mixed gas class where we will learn how to plan our dives better, pick up our stages with less fuss. The list is endless, but we should always be trying to improve our techniques.

Some friends and I have been talking about the recent cave diving phenomenon for lack of a better word, where cave diving classes are being discussed on recreational diving boards and it seems to be the new cool thing to do. Comments such as, ŪÃÎ going to get my cave certification next month from someone whoÃÔ never even seen a set of doubles are proliferating more and more throughout the recreational community.

Of course, I see both some good trends and bad trends coming out of this. On one hand, some of the entry level students IÃÎ seeing have received excellent mentoring from friends who are already in cave programs, and are well versed in what is to be expected from them in a Cavern/Intro class. On the other hand, IÃÎ also seeing people who are woefully unprepared, have no basic buoyancy skills, are a threat to both themselves and others, but at least they end up understanding why they are being failed and will not be allowed to continue on with an Intro class. As a cave instructor, while I think that a Cavern course should be something that should be taken by everyone (especially if they live in an area with a lot of caves) in no way or form do I encourage people to take any form of training beyond a Cavern class. It is unethical, cave diving is not for everybody and part of my job is to discourage those who I feel are not cut out for this type of diving.

As cave divers, we have a responsibility to the community and that is not to promote or encourage people to cave dive. We can see the signs everywhere of bad buoyancy control, the inability to run a line into the cave, the proliferation of new cave divers thumping their proverbial chests and buying equipment that far exceeds their capabilities and as a result the community and the caves as a whole are suffering.

As one of the Regional Safety Officers for the NACD, I was talking to a college dive club last night about the differences between open water diving and cave diving. Of course, this was a local college in cave country and some of the members are already cave divers and others are going through training. As educated individuals they realize the dangers involved with it and the difference between recreational diving and cave diving. I just wish more people would realize that there is a world of difference between a recreational cavern dive and even a basic Intro level cave dive. We leave behind the comfort of the sunlight and head on back into the black arteries underneath the earth!

We have warning signs installed at cave entrances warning open water divers to stay out but on the flip side, at times it seems that we are encouraging these same divers to get cave certified. The other night, some friends and I moved the gold line off the floor at DevilÃÔ and put it back on the right wall, where it has traditionally been since it was pulled out from the Lips/Keyhole area. Why did we do this? Here are some of the reasons why?.

The main and overriding concern was that of safety. If an open water diver enters the Ear and sees the sign, then they will also see the gold line attached to it. In my opinion, this encourages them to penetrate further into the overhead and with the line up on the right wall it will not be noticed by the average open water diver.

Another reason is that weÃ×e seen far too many students doing lights out air shares down the gold line and as they feel their way around a placement simply drop to their knees or in the worst cases simply crawl along the floor! The placement of the line on the wall means that students will have to maintain control of their buoyancy while following the line in the dark. It will also test diverÃÔ abilities to run a line, as they will now have to use a tie-off or run the line under a rock to come up the wall and then tie in to the gold line while hovering in mid water. Two days after we did this, I mentioned to another cave instructor about what weÃÅ done and he laughed and said, ŵhanks for doing that, IÃ×e spent too much time lifting peopleÃÔ knees up off the floor as theyÃÓe tying into the line! Something else to consider is that the best path down the Gallery while entering is up high and it has been pointed out to me by a couple of cave instructors that a lot of times, students do not like to be that far away from the gold line so they end up using a less optimum path of travel.

I realize that a few reading this will think IÃÎ being an elitist, but is there really anything wrong with raising the proverbial bar a bit? Do we want divers who have no buoyancy control in our caves? I like swimming through clear water myself, not a haze thatÃÔ been stirred up by someone who doesnÃÕ know the difference between a flutter kick and a modified shuffle or frog kick! I just wish people would slow down a little bit, believe me I understand that this is partly a product of our society, as everything is available almost instantly but cave training should be a journey, not a destination. It should never end with a Full Cave card, that is really when you start to learn about cave diving! I liken it to when you first get your driverÃÔ license and have your hands at ÅÕen to two on the steering wheel, youÃÓe constantly checking your mirrors, and as you do it more and more often, your awareness of surrounding traffic patterns heightens. As someone said a while back ÅÇive seconds ago, you werenÃÕ in trouble!?nbsp;

Well, as usual, thanks for taking the time to read my viewpoint, and please have fun and make good decisions out there. Please donÃÕ encourage people to cave dive, it should be a personal decision made by someone for themselves as things can go south very quickly for the mentally unprepared. As always try to slow down and think a little bit before you act, keep your cave diving safe and please take good care of our underwater cathedrals.
Source-
Article8

Very wise advice from those above. There's no fire. Keep technical diving as a goal if you're sure you want to do it., but don't rush into it. This weekend I will be finishing up my Adv. Nitrox & Decompression Procedures Course. I have been working on this course for over a year & a half. I started the course when I had been certified less than a year. I found very quickly I was woefully unprepared. It took me over a year just to get comfortable with my equipment configuration & to get my buoyancy control down pat. The other part of the delay was getting into another class to refresh & finish up. Technical diving will force you to go outside of your comfort levels, so you want your basic comfort levels to be there & be solid before you "push the envelope". Good luck to you in your endeavors.

I am finishing up my AOW this week, still relatively new to diving but like most hobbies in my life I am jumping in headfirst (just not with gear on). I plan on trying to dive at least every month or two for the next year or so even if they are local dives more to gain experience than sightseeing. After that I want to move on and start working on technical diving certs. In the next few years I would like to accomplish:

Full cave
Trimix
Solo diving
Wreck Penetration

I was planning to start with Cavern at ginnie springs and Intro to tech at 40 fathoms grotto. From there do the basic cave and then the CDA technical diver program. After that I am not sure, probably finish up cave and do solo.

As someone with a similar number of logged dives as you (based on your profile), and as someone progressing towards technical diving I'd say the best thing to do is focus on fundamental skills and advancing your recreational diving first. I try to get in the water every week, not every month.

I finished up my AOW class last year and one thing my instructor still sticks in my mind, "being advanced certified doesn't make you an advanced diver." While I've received positive comments from more experienced buddies on my buoyancy skills I know they still need fine tuning and much more work. Rather than jumping into technical courses right away, within the next year I'll be taking a research diving class, doing Rescue, GUE Fundamentals, and a divemaster internship. Only after I've got a couple hundred dives under my belt will I be looking at technical and cave courses.

Even so, if you really are going to jump into technical courses right away you need to remember that cave, wreck, and solo diving are very different. Each of these areas has its own challenges and necessary skill sets. Take the advice of the more experienced members here and don't rush into the technical diving. By building your fundamental skills first, and progressing towards more advanced and more complex diving you'll get more enjoyment out of it and have a safer, more fun experience.

-Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom