Considering a liveaboard - my first - in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GramercyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first posting on the board so thanks in advance and apologies if I'm doing anything wrong!

I'm considering my first liveaboard the week of December 27. I'm thinking of AquaCat, Utila Aggressor and Nekton Rorqual. I'd be going alone (43 y.o. female), and right now all seem to have space for me, and airfare, while expensive, is doable. I've done a lot of research on this board and elsewhere, but every time I do more research I add another option to the list.

I'm a very recreational type diver - once a year at best - but love it. Last December I spent a week on Little Cayman and my trip before that was to Belize (land-based at Glovers Reef). I'd appreciate any advice on what might be my best choice. AquaCat seems like the nicest but I'm worried about Bahamas weather in December. Nekton I hear both great and terrible reviews. I don't want to do a land-based trip because I'm traveling alone and think it would be easier to meet people/find dive buddies on a liveaboard. I'm not particularly interested in Cozumel for this trip and think T&C would be too expensive.

Thank you!
GramercyGirl
New York, NY

Hi,

This is my first posting on the board so thanks in advance and apologies if I'm doing anything wrong!

I'm considering my first liveaboard the week of December 27. I'm thinking of AquaCat, Utila Aggressor and Nekton Rorqual. I'd be going alone (43 y.o. female), and right now all seem to have space for me, and airfare, while expensive, is doable. I've done a lot of research on this board and elsewhere, but every time I do more research I add another option to the list.

I'm a very recreational type diver - once a year at best - but love it. Last December I spent a week on Little Cayman and my trip before that was to Belize (land-based at Glovers Reef). I'd appreciate any advice on what might be my best choice. AquaCat seems like the nicest but I'm worried about Bahamas weather in December. Nekton I hear both great and terrible reviews. I don't want to do a land-based trip because I'm traveling alone and think it would be easier to meet people/find dive buddies on a liveaboard. I'm not particularly interested in Cozumel for this trip and think T&C would be too expensive.

Thank you!
GramercyGirl
New York, NY

A few thoughts:

Liveaboards are excellent for singles, people always team up for dives.

the Caribbean in Dec-Jan can have rough weather or can be clear skies and calm. Water might be warmer in Utila but the other two would require a 5mm suit minimum most likely. I have heard that the Utila trip has some dives with strong current. The other two would probably be easier diving.

The Aquacat is probably the nicest of the 3 boats, Nekton next, then the Utila Aggressor which I have heard (never been on it, just read several reports) is not in best condition (oldest boat in Aggressor fleet) and because it is narrow and monohull, tends to rock all the time. The Aquacat is a catamaran so will be more stable, the Nekton is a swath boat so most stable of the 3. This may be important or not, but since it will be your first liveaboard I thought I would bring it up.

Aquacat trip may see more sharks, I think the Nekton trip is in St. Croix and will have a mix of wrecks and reefs as will the Utila trip.

Airfare may be cheaper to Nassau for Aquacat or Puerto Rico for Nekton. I was looking at airfare to Utila last year and there was price was high and no way I could get there in time to catch the flight so I would need to overnight on mainland, which added to cost.

Does this help at all?

robin:D

Yes, very helpful! Especially considering that the prices for the Utila Aggressor and the Aquacat are about the same, and one's a whole lot nicer. You're right about the airfare. A stop on the way home to see family in FL will knock the whole Bahamas airfare package down to about $500--not bad for high season! Thank you!

If you're flexible, I'm pretty sure that I saw that Aquacat was offering $500 off on the Dec 20-27th trip.

The only thing you'll regret about doing a liveaboard is having to come home again!

We did the Aquacat in early January 2008, and weather wasn't a problem -- I don't suspect it'd be much different from late December.

Yes, very helpful! Especially considering that the prices for the Utila Aggressor and the Aquacat are about the same, and one's a whole lot nicer. You're right about the airfare. A stop on the way home to see family in FL will knock the whole Bahamas airfare package down to about $500--not bad for high season! Thank you!

go onto YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and do a search for "Aquacat Bahamas" and watch some of the videos there. They did a group of them touring the boat, diving, non-diving activities, etc. Really well done.

robin:D

The last liveaboard I was on had 3 couples, 4 single women and 1 single guy, the women did not come as a group but independently, two were teachers (one form Seattle the other from Cal.), one worked in the oil industry, one was married without her spouse.

I think you cannot go wrong on the Aggressor. I have one Dec 5 to Turks and another to Caymans in May. I do mainly liveaboards (Aggressor) and to me its the only way to go.

I agree with Papa Bear. The diving in the area the Utila Agrressor visits is great. The boat is just fine and the crew is terrific. My wife and I have been on 7 liveaboards and we liked this trip the best overall in this part of the world.

Many of our trips have included single divers - both male and female - and everyone has always had a great time meeting new friends. Have fun whatever your choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom