Swimming to the USS NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike D

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reading online that people can reach the USS NH by swimming from White Beach and then descending. Is this possible? Has anyone done it?
I understand it is probably better as a boat dive but I was just curious.

It's a 900-yard swim to get to Grave's Island from White's Beach, according to Google Earth.

Maybe a kayak dive.... :)

I hope to get there next year (in a dive buddy's boat). :D

Dave C

Just one dude's opinion; but after diving the NH several times over the years, I don't think that it's worth a 900 yard swim.:shocked2:

It's a nice relaxing place to anchor up, have a bite to eat while off gassing, and roll in for a second dive. As mentioned, a kayak would be the way to go if a boat is not handy.

FWIW; my $.02

I was reading online that people can reach the USS NH by swimming from White Beach and then descending. Is this possible? Has anyone done it?
I understand it is probably better as a boat dive but I was just curious.
I second Dennis' opinion. It can be a "rewarding" dive but I would go by boat.

Thanks guys.

I posted this very question about a year ago. Consensus seemed to be that it might be a fine scooter dive from shore, but probably not worth the swim. You can search for the thread if you'd like.

I thought there was nothing left of the NH anyway, am I mistaken? Thinking of another wreck? ~stew

1st time I heard of the wreck was from a work collegue of mine that was a diver. He proudly displayed on his desk a piece of wood from the deck as a trophy piece. Because of folks like him and others, there is not much of a wreck. It's an historic spot that should be left as it is for others to enjoy.

1st time I heard of the wreck was from a work collegue of mine that was a diver. He proudly displayed on his desk a piece of wood from the deck as a trophy piece. Because of folks like him and others, there is not much of a wreck. It's an historic spot that should be left as it is for others to enjoy.

Seeing as it's also illegal to take from the NH, that's not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom