suunto vyper and mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivansie

Reaction score
Hi, my wife and I are researching before getting our first computers. We usually get similar stuff and would like to get probably 2 of the same computers since it has its advantages to learn just one system but this time we are making separate decisions, we both decided on suunto but I like the vyper more and she likes the mosquito although I would not really mind one or the other and price is very close.

The question is, do they use exactly the same algorithms and software. can they both use the same pc interface? have anybody experience noticeable different with the time allowed for consecutive dives, etc.? can both operate in gauge mode?

thanks in advance
bye
ivan

Here is a link that shows the specs of Suunto dive computers in a comparison type format

http://www.suunto.com/v2/datafiles/specs/suunto_techfeat.pdf

Like lucid said the mosquito doesn't have a guage mode but has a free diving mode that will track for a few mins. I don't think they use the same interface fo PC Xfers. I think they use the same RGB model but sample rates can be changed on the Vyper where you have to use the interface to change the Mosquito.

Hope this helps
Geek

Geek and Lucid, thanks for the info. I will check that comparisson table. I read a little bit about the freediving mode and definitely is not what I thought. I am leaning more towards the Vyper at this point...

ANY VYPER OWNERS OUT THERE????????/

bye
ivan

The Vyper is my primary computer and the mosquito is the backup. They both use the same software and the same interface. I find the Vyper easier to read (larger characters) and I like the information it displays better. Maybe I just haven't read the manual carefully enough but I can't seem to get the water temperature to display on the mosquito.

Dive times have been the same on the two computers.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Maybe I just haven't read the manual carefully enough but I can't seem to get the water temperature to display on the mosquito.

Ravie,

Hit the bottom left button twice and it will allow the temperature to be displayed.

I've got the Mosquito and the manual made me think it would be fairly useless in Free diving mode as a bottom timer/depth gauge. Am doing my Trimix training in the Cayman's and it worked great. Ended up being my primary timer and depth gauge. Timer numerics are a bit small but still didn't have a problem reading it.

I don't know the Vyper but Mosquito was just fine. It gave an Error warning but at the depths/times I'm diving at it will do that anyways. It locks out but that only effects changing its mode. Jump back in the water the next day and works fine.

Didn't try uploading information to the PC afterwards but seemed to track my Max/Average depth and times to the log properly also.

If had to do again would probably had bought the Vyper, but Mosquito does work.

Kev

Get the Vyper...it rocks! LOL Seriously, I bought one just before my Keys trip last week. Did 18 dives throughout the week and am absolutely in love with my Vyper.
But Im confused about one thing I saw earlier on this thread....about the sampling rate being changed. My book says it can only be changed via the computer hook up.
Marty

I went back and checked on the sample rates. I never change mine so I was a bit incorrect in my understanding. Here is what the manual says about the Vyper

(the recording interval can be set to 10s, 30s or 60s
increments with the optional PC-interface and its
software)

So it looks like you do have to use the interface for the Vyper but the Mosquito is set to 20s (For Dive Modes) and cannot be changed. I also have a Cobra same deal as the Vyper.

I normaly use my Cobra and have my Vyper console on my backup reg set. I use my Citizen Hyper Aqualand as a bottom timer.

Geek

Back
Top Bottom