Question re: Diving with Nitrox and Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am NAUI certified for Nitrox diving but haven't done so in years.

I will be meeting someone in the Caribbean who wants to use nitrox to extend our dive times which is fine with me because I can be an air hog at times.

I feel funny about even asking but I've simply forgotten some Nitrox basics. My dive computer is an Aeris Atmos AI Air Integrated Computer Console.

I don't know what % oxygen we will be using but it will be either 32% or 36% which we will confirm with an Oxygen analyzer.

I misplaced the manual for my Aeris Atmos AI so I'm not sure what to do next. Will the computer sense the oxygen % difference from "normal" and automatically adjust the depths/times etc. on the display to values which are appropriate for a particular gas mix?

Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

I suggest you take another NITROX course - they are available without required dives from most agencies now. It seems to me that you have lost the concepts and knowledge. No air intgrated recreational computer has an oxygen sensor in it.

Just my .02, but its the safe way.

If you are an "air hog", nitrox will not extend your dive time. Nitrox can only be used to extend your dive time if you are running out of NDL, not gas.

There should be no need to take another nitrox course. Read you nitrox book and your computer manual and see if they answer your questions.

Just re-read the manual on your own to review the basic concepts behind using nitrox.
In addition to the oxygen sensor comment, I'm troubled by your implication that diving nitrox will compensate for you being an "air hog." If you find that your gas supply is the limiting factor in total bottom time, then using gas with a higher percentage of oxygen really won't help your situation. Your dives will be as short as ever. In fact, if you're diving deeper, the dives will be even shorter. If gas supply is the limiting factor and not NDLs, then I would suggest...increasing your gas supply by getting a bigger tank.

The manual for your dive computer can be downloaded from this Aeris webpage.

Have fun and dive safe.

I will be meeting someone in the Caribbean who wants to use nitrox to extend our dive times which is fine with me because I can be an air hog at times.

I'm glad I took the PADI EANx course instead of NAUI :wink:

Sy, get a refresher course before even thinking going Nitrox diving ... Just in case your computer breaks down :cool2:

Even better, don't spend the extra money on EANx32 ... just use EANx21

sytech,

I agree that a refresher is in order here. A few targeted questions will not close all gaps with certainty.

Also as mentioned Nitrox will not lower your usage so if gas is the limiting factor there will be no real benefit.

Pete

Nitrox does not reduce your consumption, it increases the No-Decompression Limit (amount of time you can stay at depth).

If you can empty an 80 Cu Ft tank in 30 minutes, Nitrox won't help give you a longer dive.

If you can make a dive last 70 minutes on an 80, but are limited by the No-Deco limit in your tables or computer, then Nitrox will help.

I feel funny about even asking but I've simply forgotten some Nitrox basics. My dive computer is an Aeris Atmos AI Air Integrated Computer Console.
Can't help there. You should be able to download the manual.

I don't know what % oxygen we will be using but it will be either 32% or 36% which we will confirm with an Oxygen analyzer.

I misplaced the manual for my Aeris Atmos AI so I'm not sure what to do next. Will the computer sense the oxygen % difference from "normal" and automatically adjust the depths/times etc. on the display to values which are appropriate for a particular gas mix?
Your computer won't sense the O2 %. You'll need to analyze your tank, then set the computer to reflect the measured O2%.

A refresher Nitrox class would be a good idea, or at least re-read your book. There are a number of important topics it covers, including the MOD (Maximum Operating Depth) for the mix you're using and the effects of Oxygen Toxicity.

Terry

You'll need to analyze your tank

Just wanted to chip in and say you MUST analyse your own gas - don't trust that task to someone else :wink:

I'm glad I took the PADI EANx course instead of NAUI :wink:

Sy, get a refresher course before even thinking going Nitrox diving ... Just in case your computer breaks down :cool2:

Even better, don't spend the extra money on EANx32 ... just use EANx21

EAN21...that's rich. :wink:

We obtained our EAN certification prior to visiting the Caymans. I discovered that I did not feel any different (less fatigued) using EAN32 and since we usually do not exceed 75 feet in our multi-level dive plans we generally run out of gas before running out of time. I found that three EAN32 dives a day dried my mouth and airway more than standard air. After a few dives I switched back to air. Air is $6.00 per tank, EAN32 is $12.00 per tank. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom