Do I need gauges if I use an Air Integrated Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mckinness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just purchased my own equipment I picked up 2 Smart Z's new and reasonably priced. Do I need gauges as a back up? Are they required by dive charters? Should I just buy a pressure gauge or get the whole setup including a compass. Pretty new to diving so be gentle!!!

Just purchased my own equipment I picked up 2 Smart Z's new and reasonably priced. Do I need gauges as a back up? Are they required by dive charters? Should I just buy a pressure gauge or get the whole setup including a compass. Pretty new to diving so be gentle!!!

The Smart Z already contains a pressure gauge. You don't need to use an additional pressure gauge with it.

Terry

Get a gauge. Better yet as you stated, get a console with air/depth/compas.

Right in the middle of your next trip, your computer battery runs out ...:shakehead:

Get a gauge. Better yet as you stated, get a console with air/depth/compas.

Right in the middle of your next trip, your computer battery runs out ...:shakehead:

The OP already bought the computers.

Terry

No no no.

Does the computer give you PSI readings? That's a guage. If it fails you abort the dive, just like you would if the computer fails.

your air integrated computer is your gauges. No charter is going to require you have a second set of gauges. That said, some people think having a mechanical SPG as a backup is a good idea when using a hoseless AI computer, because of the somewhat greater possibility of failure. Backing up depth and time is not so important - you can always look at your buddy's gauges to get those - you can't look at their SPG and tell how much gas you have!

You should get a compass, but whether you should wear it on your wrist or have it in a console depends on your preferences, and maybe on where you dive or how much you use it.

As said above your computer is a DIGTIAL gauge. Now do you need a back pressure or depth gauge or bottom timer? Do they need to be digital or analog? No, not really but if you want I am sure a shop will sell you either.

BTW The only time a back up depth gauge and bottom timer is required is when you have deco obligation.

The computer is a digital gauge. Only 1 catch... If the computer fails you could be done diving for 24 hours unless you have some kind of redundancy. That can be a second computer, a gauge set or not recommended but do-able if you stay real close to your buddy you can use their max depth and bottom time to figure out a worse case profile for yourself and based on that continue diving after repairing or replacing your failed computer.

Divers shows have a backup depth and backup timing device for certain. I like the simplicity of an analogue gauge that relies on simple physics not electricity to work too.
Then again i really can't see the point of an AI computer what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom