Adjustment ... trimming ...etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
After nursing my wounds from a bike accident I am finally getting ready to do my FIRST dive with the Halcyon BP/WINGS tomorrow (if it doesnt #@$$#@@$# rain).

what should i look for when doing the first plunge with a BP/WINGS besides all the promised glory and freedom ??

I alradey trim and cut all the harness, adjusted the straps, D rings (thanks INFLATED BIG HEAD GUY FROM GUE) :D ...etc.

i heard that ... one should be prepared and ready to do plenty of adjustments of the harness ??

any other considerations or stuff that needs to be done when i am at the pool ??

My first dives we not all that different than my BC dives. No angels singing, no light from the sky, no sudden, miraculous difference in my buoyancy and trim, etc. It was mellow. The rig didn't change the way I dived, I changed the way I dive in the rig.

There is strap stretch, but not much. Make the tank bands as tight as you can, so you can barely flip them closed when dry - they'll hold fine when you get them wet.

Its just harder to get in and out of...but you'll get used to that and it gets easier. I though I had it dialed, took the class and ended up tightening it down a bit more.

I've dropped to 10 pounds of weight in the ACB's, now. But I've made no significant adjustments to the harness, the rings, or anything else.

Honestly, there won't be this huge gigantic difference because of the new gear - mostly because you'll still be diving it like your old rig...which is perfectly cool. The big differences you'll notice right away will be out of the water - packing it (smaller) hauling it (less lead) setting it up (for me, faster) putting it on (harder than adjustable straps) taking it off (its getting easier, now).

I've noticed small things. Last week, when trying to properly weight my wife, she was hanging on the rope at 10' trying to get a grip. I sort of held position and back-kicked away to compensate for the swing in the rope that put her in my face. Is that huge? No. But its something I wouldn't have done 2 months ago. It was effective, and mellow. I was able to hold position and kick in a circle around her as she flailed. We got her re-weighted and its all good. But for me, I was in better control, as I've been a flailer for a long time. Still am, but to a lesser degree.

Gear never makes the diver. But you'll start to elevate your game - I've been trying. Is it a coincidence that it happens to coincide with the BP/w..? Maybe. Something lit that fuse, that drive for percision. For me, it was the BP/W.

Enjoy, but don't expect anything grand.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom