Head spins at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
wondering if anyone knows why i get the head spins when comming up from depth im doing my deep diving specialty and im fine going down equallizing every meter or so when i need to. The last dive was 32 meters and about 2 or 3 meters up found i was heeps dizzy for a few seconds mabey 10 seconds then it was fine for the rest of the dive should i worry ? i had a second dive on the same day to 18 meters and all was well .

Sounds like alternobaric vertigo - see Scuba-Doc's article on:
Vertigo
Most often occurs on ascent because of unequal pressures in your two middle ears. It can usually be prevented/corrected by equalizing during ascent as well as on descent.

Or perhaps you are possessed by the devil. Does green spew come out of your reg after it happens?

Not sure what water temps you are diving but that seems to affect me from time to time. Focusing on something, usually my computer or compass, is enough to help me through it for the brief period that this happens.

I get it as well.
I don't know if it's alternobaric but I occasionally experience vertigo if I stare at something and then look somewhere else. I usually resolve it by refocusing on something (as suggested) or closing my eyes for a moment.
It doesn't stop me from diving.

I've had this happen to me twice, both times on ascent. Without getting too technical, it's an imbalance of pressure between your ears throwing you off. Go back down just a foot or 2 and it will usually go away, then come back up SLOWLY.

I had a dm canidate working on one of the northeast boats complain to me about being dizzy at depth during the dive constantly.He never had the problem before...I asked him what he was doing differently recently.Turns out he was working out with weights and also taking steroids.I advised him to try not taking the steroids and see what happens.Cleared up right away.

I had a dm canidate working on one of the northeast boats complain to me about being dizzy at depth during the dive constantly.He never had the problem before...I asked him what he was doing differently recently.Turns out he was working out with weights and also taking steroids.I advised him to try not taking the steroids and see what happens.Cleared up right away.

Now that sounds weird. I'm not a dr. but I always thought that steroids reduced swelling and such. Thus the Eustachian tubes should have been more open.

Now that sounds weird. I'm not a dr. but I always thought that steroids reduced swelling and such. Thus the Eustachian tubes should have been more open.

Not a Dr. here either,just took a logical guess on what he was doing different from everyone else...could have been an inner ear thing or maybe the effects of the steroids under higher pressure??Stopped taking the steriods used for body building and never had the dizzy spell again...got lucky I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom