Malapascua? best diversity of dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Greetings, and thanks in advance for any well-informed replies.

My brother and I are considering diving the Philippines in the late March - early May timeframe, and as the scuba pro, I've been tasked with doing the research and recommending to him where we might go. Problem is: I've never dived the Philippines. Can y'all help me out please?

I've spent many hours browsing the posts here on scubaboard.com and a lot of looking around elsewhere online. I used to work as a scuba instructor/divemaster, so I'm well aware that what I read on a dive center's website might be a bit (or a lot) biased ... thus, I'm hoping for some responses from divers who have dived a lot in the Philippines but who aren't necessarily trying very hard to get me to book a week of diving with them or their company.

A while ago, I was sold on Anilao; before that it was Apo island at the top of my list ... a few others have also been contenders. (A liveaboard to Tubbataha is out of my price range, or that would be my 1st choice) ... But now, I'm thinking that because my bro is a fairly new diver (< 50 dives, almost all in Thailand) and is interested in a good mix of pelagics, big schools and schoals, macro stuff, and wrecks, then maybe the best option other than Tubbataha is Malapascua. Evidently, many Philippines sites offer a great diversity of small fishes and macro critters, but don't have big animals, don't have much in the way of massive quantities of silvery pelagics, and don't have blindingly thick schools of fish and schoals of fishes. Many of the best sites also lack good historic shipwrecks. I'm always delighted to see a nudibranch or a frogfish I've never seen before, but my brother would prefer to see some big stuff and hordes of colorful fishes as well. He's of course happy with a ghost pipefish or a mantis shrimp, and he got a big kick out of the mating cuttlefish -- and of course, turtles and octopi and morays are always crowd-pleasers -- but I think he'd like at least a few dives with big schools of barracudas and jacks/trevallies feeding on a baitball, and swarms of colorful reef fishes, and at least a chance of seeing a shark or a big ray or two. All he's seen have been leopard sharks, whereas I have seen at least 11 identifiable shark species [and some sharks I couldn't ID] -- and believe me: 8 circling bull sharks or a dozen circling sand-tiger sharks definitely raise the excitement level well above that of a sleepy leopard shark or two! As for me, I've dived here and there in 6 or 8 Caribbean countries, some of eastern Pacific (California, Costa Rica, Ecuador), and hundreds of dives on both the west and east coasts of Thailand. Before I became a scuba instructor, I used to dive the World War II wrecks of east coast North America, and I'm a (novice) tec diver. I absolutely love wreck diving, so someplace where I could do a couple fishy and coral-encrusted recreational wreck dives with my brother, and then also a couple deep, deco wreck dives without him would be ideal.

Your thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,
M

P.S. Of course, I'm happy to give you my opinions about the places I've dived: much of Thailand, North Carolina, Belize, Honduras, etc. Ask and ye shall receive!

Malapascua's great feature is the Thresher Sharks, but there is good diving there for other things.
Bohol; Go to Balicasag Is. for the Black Forest,(black coral) good small wall diving, ( 20fsw -100fsw), lots of Macro.
Puerto Galera for the most varied diving you can find; rec.; tech.; wreck;deep;nature,( over 600 species of nudibranchs in the Verde Is. Passage).
Don't rule out Anilao great diving there also!!
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines. :D

Wow, nice dive history. I'd agree with Jigo - I took my brother to Bohol when he just got certified and he loved it. Balicasag will give you your fix of big stuff. Another option is Dumaguete - Apo Island has schools of barracudas and jackfish, as well as large groupers. Plus the macro is amazing. Though I don't know of any wrecks around both areas. Tubbataha is another option, but then you're looking to drop $$$ for a liveaboard.

And thanks for posting your information - makes it alot easier for us to give suggestions.

Malapascua (7 trips) and Apo Island (2 trips)are my favorite places to dive.

Malapacua - check out Thresher Shark Divers
Monad Shoal - Threshers and Mantas - you could also do a tech dive there to see some deep hammerhead sharks - I am told.
Dona Maralyn - wreck dive recreational depths - rays, fire sea urchins etc. A freighter/ferry sunk in 1985-86 in a typhoon. Intact - not sure if they would allow penetraction - draped with fishing nets. Extra fuel charge due to distance from Malapascua and depending on number of customers interested in the site.
Pioneer Wreck - deep tech dive - never been there due to depth.
Goto Island - white tip reef sharks in cave - otherwise lots of macro including pigmy seahorses.
Nunez and Calangaman - deep coral walls dives - lionfish and depends on just what happens to be there at the time.​

Apo Island - I recommend staying at Liberty Lodge on the island.
Schools of mackerel and maybe baracuda and green sea turtles. There are a lot of trigger fish and a large Nepolean Wrasse. A good variety of fishes on various dives around the island. I saw a good variety of eels too - ribbon, starry, white eyed etc. Highly recommend the night dive every night in front of the shop.​
Depending on how long you are there for you could go to both locations in 2-2.5 weeks. Just depends on what kind of pace you like on your vacations.

i forgot that there's also verde island for huge jacks and potato cods. its a "high voltage" dive site. i guess that's the term to use these days....:D

i forgot that there's also verde island for huge jacks and potato cods. its a "high voltage" dive site. i guess that's the term to use these days....:D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

HIGH VOLTAGE.....bzzzzzz.....bzzzzzzz / VERDE is a "MUST DO" no doubt.

Thanks for the input.

Haven't decided upon Malapascua for sure yet, but it sounds good.

Additional comments would be most welcome.

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom