solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I havent yet....but belive me I have thought about it........
Rob

I might someday, but not with the gear I have now, not enough redundancy for me.

I admit it, I've dived solo a few times. The feeling I get from it is a strange mixture of adventurousness (is that a word?) and creepiness that I find just compelling enough to do once in a while. There's something magical about being alone, floating through the kelp, playing hide 'n seek with a harbor seal. But of course I would never condone it or suggest that ANYONE dive solo. :)
Neil

There is a huge thread on this exact topic somewhere, try the search feature i am sure it will pop up.

I solo pretty often. I am carrying plenty of redundancy and i have no problem acepting the risks. Its my choice and other than a total gas failure on my doubles or a shark attack i feel safe, or i wouldnt do it.

I would perfer to share the experience, but a dive buddy is not always interested in going. to put a # on it id place a guess around 100 or so solo dives from 30 to over 100'.

Andy

On a weekly basis.

No Shame about it. I trust myself ten times more than even the best instructor around.

Albeit that I stay within the 50' range when I dive solo at a place like Shaws Cove here is SoCal, free ascents are NO PROBLEM and I've never had to anyway.

Badger,
Being from Minn., I would say every dive is a solo dive. Diving the lakes in our region are nothing like the oceans, more like.....get 5 feet apart and where did he go! Suprised there are so many POSITIVE posts to your question. Usually they say, dive solo and die.

Happy diving this summer.

Jaye(MN)

wheezy once bubbled...
On a weekly basis.

No Shame about it. I trust myself ten times more than even the best instructor around.

Albeit that I stay within the 50' range when I dive solo at a place like Shaws Cove here is SoCal, free ascents are NO PROBLEM and I've never had to anyway.
A Cave Diver, with great experience (and I mean REALLY experienced) Died here a few years ago, he was solo........
Experience doesnt mean squat.

Wheezy, it is good to be self reliant and have self-rescue abilities. These are no doubt critical underwater skills.

But my guess is you haven't met that many instructors, and you haven't taken a DIR-F course which makes "team" an inseparable part of every dive. Trust is always difficult to give. It helps if both divers have similiar goals, abilities, and most importantly training.

I'm not trying to be harsh, it's just that statements which almost border on criticising the validity of the redundancy of a buddy and which are so generalized as such may give the impression that the buddy system is a mistake. Both systems have pros and cons. And let's face it everyone, by human nature, tends to think of self first then others, it is a very rare individual indeed that must put forth no effort to think of others first. Therefore, 99% of the time extensive training is required to become a better buddy and to find a diving routine and behaviors that when used creates an almost symbiotic and interdependant underwater relationship.

Regarding Solo diving: proper training for any type of diving is required. No type of diving should be categorized as "learn once" and never practice. Diving has to be a continual learning and education process that involves real-world practice and experience. Buddy diving and team diving are no different. With the "right" buddy ... even you can trust them with your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom