Sharm Liveaboard vs. Hotel/Day Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was originally going to sharm to dive for 3 or 4 days in January. Hotel/boat etc. Now i'm considering the option of 3-4 day liveaboard instead. Any comments? i'm guessing i will get more dives in the liveaboard, what about the quality of the dive sites? any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Watching thread with interest.

if the sites are "virtually the same" then it seems more comfortable to just stay in a hotel. The liveaboard accommodations don't seem like you can get a lot of rest. If i can't get some good sleep then the diving will be affected.

if the sites are "virtually the same" then it seems more comfortable to just stay in a hotel. The liveaboard accommodations don't seem like you can get a lot of rest. If i can't get some good sleep then the diving will be affected.
Not exactly.

The live-aboard accommodation in the Red Sea is comfortable. The boats are designed to accommodate guests for 7-days trips (some up to 14 days).

On the other hand, daily boat diving requires that you go to the jetty every morning, say 8:00 AM. The boats have to be back to the jetty before sunset. Taking into consideration that you'll planing to be here in winter, then the day is short and the boats should be back at 4:00 PM. Also the food quality on live-aboard boats is different than that of the daily boats (when you have lunch between dives).

I am also watching this thread with interest. Red Sea Shadow points out one of the main reasons we want to do a live-aboard. It is mass chaos at the dock, and then entertaining to watch the boat captains argue and jockey for position back at the dock.

We are also hoping to get to the Thistlegorm before the huge dive boats arrive. When I say huge, it was about ten boats of 30-40 divers each all diving at once.

Being able to just suit up and get in the water sounds great!

The red sea is on my list of places to visit soon. I've been to dozens of resorts around the world and I've been on 7 live aboards. I always have more fun on live aboards, have great food, meet more friends, and get fantastic sleep in great accommodations. When I go, it will be a live aboard for sure. Nothing beats eat, sleep and dive with so little effort.

Sounds like liveaboard is taking the lead . . .

With a liveaboard you should get the chance to dive Abu Nuhas which has some good wrecks and also you will most likely get the chance to do an early morning or even a night dive on Thistlegorm which you certainly won't doing day diving. Otherwise some site will be the same and I would expect you to do the reefs at Tiran and also Shark & Yolanda in Ras Mohamed.

Back
Top Bottom