What is the best way to scrape a hull?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

August West

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am cleaning the hull of my boat using a brush and a scraper. It is in the water and I am not going to pay someone to do it, I want to experience the pain. So, if anyone does this kind of stuff, do you start at the water line with a green scrubbie, then work your way down?

Again, thanks for any help,

August

Last edited:
Full power straight ahead onto land....then have it towed back into the water with BoatUS...:)

Full power straight ahead onto land....then have it towed back into the water with BoatUS...:)

:rofl3: :rofl3: That was similar to my first thoughts when I saw the topic. I was going to suggest to just forget the trailer, hook it up to the truck, and drag it to the water.

Hi all,

I am planning on cleaning the hull of my boat and I just wanted to know if anyone has an efficient pattern to complete the task quickly as possible.

Thanks for the help,

August
Hey there August W.,
I couldn't help myself on my previous post, I 'm sometimes a smart a**.
What are you trying to clean off the hull? Is it just river scum, oxidation, barnacles, etc.? I can imagine each would present their own special obstacles. Also, how big of a boat are you talking about? The 2 boats I've owned were purchased new and I was pretty anal about keeping them clean and waxed. It was much like keeping a car cleaned. Do you have any pictures of how severe the crud is? There are alot of creative souls on this board and I bet you get some better ideas than dragging it or running aground. :)

Hi all,

I am planning on cleaning the hull of my boat and I just wanted to know if anyone has an efficient pattern to complete the task quickly as possible.

Thanks for the help,

August

Having scraped my share of boat bottoms, both out of the water and in the water I can say with complete confidence that the very best way is to have somebody else do it.

Tobin

There are only two good ways to scrape a hull.

(1) Pay someone to do it.

(2) Forbid your kids from doing it and sit back and wait until they get curious.

:rofl3: :rofl3: That was similar to my first thoughts when I saw the topic. I was going to suggest to just forget the trailer, hook it up to the truck, and drag it to the water.

I was going to suggest lose control of your buoyancy on a drift dive????:D

My boat owning buddy suggests paying someone also...sorry, that's all I have to add!

Having scraped my share of boat bottoms, both out of the water and in the water I can say with complete confidence that the very best way is to have somebody else do it.

Tobin

Absolutely! It costs about $90 every 3 months for my 30' sailboat. I have no intention of taking over the work. For a buck a day it just isn't worth learning how to do it!

Richard

Absolutely! It costs about $90 every 3 months for my 30' sailboat. I have no intention of taking over the work. For a buck a day it just isn't worth learning how to do it!

Richard

I hand polished my 19ft Maxim hull last weekend, took me 5 hours, will never do it again!!!!! :)

Richard

There's inflation for you - when I was 19 (back in 1991), I used to scrape boats for $1 a foot on my day off.

Back
Top Bottom