Speargun bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrabdiver111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,
I have an old school JBL sperrgun that uses 14" bands. I am currently using 1/2" bands and am curious to know if upgrading to 9/16" bands would give me noticeabley more power behind each shot. I hunt in the North Coast waters of California primarily, but tend to dip down to the Channel Islands frequently. Any advice??

Thanks,
Rob

It will provide noticeably more power. I should also add that you cannot keep upgrading bands to gain more penetration and range forever though. Past a certain point you will need a shaft with more mass (in turn pushed by bigger bands), which means a bigger gun. I am not trying to say thats what you are in danger of doing or anything like that, just expounding alittle.

Appreciate the input PatMyGreen. The new bands are on the way, and I'll try them out this weekend at the Channel Islands. Your right, after this trip I'll most likely get a bigger gun. Any tips on a decent gun thats not too big for North Coast diving and that wont deplete my pocket?

Rob

mrab, I assume that there is a big difference shore diving Norcal and diving the Channel Islands. In any case, can you describe the conditions?

Viz on a good day up North Coast (north of SF Bay) is 15-25', but usually 10' or less. Usually rocky entry, very thick kelp, and always looks sharky. South of the bay in the Monterey area can have great conditions with 50+ feet viz and usually easier entry points from shore than up past SF Bay.

JBL does make the 38-Special Northwest specifically for these waters and you can find online for about $160

mrab, I assume that there is a big difference shore diving Norcal and diving the Channel Islands. In any case, can you describe the conditions?

EXACTLY what SactoMitch said. In fact I couldn't have described it much better than that. Especially when describing how kelpy and sharky the water is. LOL.

I'll look into thr Riffe and the JBL guns. Do any of you use either one in California waters?

Rob

I'll look into thr Riffe and the JBL guns. Do any of you use either one in California waters?

When I was working out of San Francisco-Oakland ports for about 2 years my go to gun was the C1. Reason being I always like the option to load up on a smoothie trigger mechanism without barrel flex. I also like to be able to change shaft diameters and overkill my shooting line.
I prefer an open muzzle shooting into holes and closer ranges where my shaft might penetrate the fish (or hit rock) before it exits the barrel. Not really an issue so much anymore because pretty much all euros nowadays dive the option for an open/closed muzzle.
Downside is the handle on the competitors become really uncomfortable after a couple hours. It would be super sweet if there was a way to put an Aimrite handle on the competitor but it just won't work.
Regards,
Chris

For the kelpy thing, get a Biller 42 in mahogany. Get a used gun to save $. I don't care much for Riffe. I owned several and still have two. However, for shooting whites or yellows in 50 feet vis they are a passably good gun. The Riffe was designed for trophy shooting; shortening and selling to the SCUBA diver has not worked that well technically, although it is a fantastic marketing success. The metal version might be OK for bottom fishing if it has an actual muzzle. It does not have much flotation. It's just a lot easier to stay organized if the shooting line isn't popping off the front hook or the spear falling off the side. Actually, the Rob Allen type with the new style muzzle should also be considered. The Biller is an "entry" level gun like the JBL. However, the Biller can be modified in subtle ways to improve power and accuracy. If you google "Biller Caribbean" or "Modifying the Biller 54" you can get some ideas. A visit to Spearboard will also provide sources of info. If you would like clarification on anything just ring the bell.

modifying the Biller 54 Caribbean peskydor - Google Search

Pesky,
Thanks for the great articles! I could not see the pictures but I am interested in how you are wrapping the line (the "shark fin" line release)... similar to a Heinrich style?
Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom