Tables USN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good afternoon
I was hoping some one would be able to tell me where I would be able to find a digital copy of the United States Navy tables and treatment tables, or any other table system that is not PADIÃÔ RDP or the Canadian DCIEM tables.

Thanks

The US Navy Diving Manual is a great reference to have and it's a free download. :D

You may already know but the Navy tables were developed for 18-20 year old males in great shape. You might want to back off them a little if you do not fit in that demographic.

Thinks Zzz king, I’ am not even close to the USN demographic

The reason i want the other table systems is to compare them to what i use which is the DCIEM, and because a copy of the USN treatment tables could never hurt

You may already know but the Navy tables were developed for 18-20 year old males in great shape. You might want to back off them a little if you do not fit in that demographic.

Um, you may want to do a little more checking to see how true this may really be or whether it's actually a often-repeated myth. Myself, I'm not sure either way, but I have this vague recollection that one of the people who helped develop those tables over the years has posted here on SB that their test group (tables are based in part on statistical testing) included stereotypical 40+ year-old pot-bellied cigar chain smoking hard drinking Navy Master Chiefs. It can take a while to qualify as a Navy Diver and earn enough seniority for some assignments, so it wouldn't be surprising if the tables were based on the demographics of their user group. The dive science people are pretty smart, after all.

Um, you may want to do a little more checking to see how true this may really be or whether it's actually a often-repeated myth. Myself, I'm not sure either way, but I have this vague recollection that one of the people who helped develop those tables over the years has posted here on SB that their test group (tables are based in part on statistical testing) included stereotypical 40+ year-old pot-bellied cigar chain smoking hard drinking Navy Master Chiefs. It can take a while to qualify as a Navy Diver and earn enough seniority for some assignments, so it wouldn't be surprising if the tables were based on the demographics of their user group. The dive science people are pretty smart, after all.

True, a lot of people think of young UDT/SEAL team members as Navy divers instead of combat troops who get to their target underwater but in the real Navy construction and salvage divers tend to be older just because of the time it takes in progression to reach the rank and expertise as master diver. I don't have a current Navy manual but candidates of age 40 and above could be accepted for diver training if certain medical and physical requirements are met.

Last edited:
Yes the "18 and in good shape" myth is ever-perpetuated...

Navy Divers 18-20 in shape! Dive school at age 40! This is how bad information gets spread around. Currently you can apply to Navy dive school if you haven't yet turned 30. Some older guys may attend but not for assignment to the fleet as a working diver. They may be working in admin jobs and got to school on a waiver.
Most of the students today are very young. The majority of the fleet divers are young. They joined the Navy specifically to be Deep Sea Divers. Most of those men and women are in fairly good shape and if they aren't the PT schedule usually helps. Still not every diver is a sleek and slender physical fitness buff. Body fat is a plus especially considering the Navy has never been on the cutting edge where thermal protection is concerned. One of the toughest Navy Divers I ever knew was a women. She wasn't a racing model but she could outlast any man in cold water. On their best day!

The old cigar chewing fat bellied guys are mostly gone. When they were around they were supervising vice getting wet because they started out when they were 18 and did their time. 100 times over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom