Red Sea Sharks population

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey;

I was just watching a show on NAT GEO about sharks population its decreasing.
So I thought I would like to know your encounters with Sharks in the Redsea when/where and how regular do you dive. And how is the redsea coping with all the development

Cause i realy think its taken a hit in the last 7 years or so

Thanks

Which kind of sharks Adham?

Take into consideration that the Red Sea is a part of the global warming thing and that the marine life and seasons are changing accordingly. For instance, the hammerheads in Tiran stayed more this year. Also whale sharks were reported in both Dahab and Sharm for like 2 months.

Normally sharks change their place and depth when temperature changes.

Shark populations have decreased allover the world, in serious numbers. They even fish them in waters where they are supposed to be protected, like in Galapagos and Cocos Island. Quite some money can be made in the short term. The main culprit is the shark fin soup. The Red Sea has managed comperatively well in some areas (and very bad in others) regarding sharks. Some spieces, like the oceanic white tip (longimanus), was once one of the most common sharks and could be found allover oceans of the world. Today it is rare. The Red Sea is one of the places where it still can be encountered fairly often. Usually around Elphinstone reef, Brother Islands and Deadalus reef. Sometimes as far north as off Ras Mohamed. Scalloped hammerheads are also fairly common in summer. Bigger schools can be seen schooling of deep water reefs in the sudanese red sea during the spring months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom