TP II, Rec wing and single cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Anyone has any experience with this setup?

The tank being a steel LP 104. I am sure that for doubles this setup should work, but I also do a lot of single tank diving.

I am thinking of switching to the Diverite setup and some more info wouldn't hurt.

Ari :)

I looked at the Transpac II, OMS IQ and Halcyon webbing systems. I choose the OMS IQ, but the Halcyon is great too. However you should be aware that the Transpac II is a SOFT PAK - meaning, no alum or SS back plate. If your even CONSIDERING doubles, IMO you NEED a solid BP for stability and strength. I heave heard of guys using the Transpac II with SINGLE tanks and hearing that they are moving around and too unstable. Think about it, you really want 40-80# on YOUR back with no hard support? I don't!

In a softpack BC, the hard support comes from the tanks themselves. TPII unstable? Sounds like third hand BS to me.

Ari,
Do a search on the message board for Transpac postings...I recall reading a post about what I explained earlier.

Leadweight, is that like the BS of BWOD theory?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
I looked at the Transpac II, OMS IQ and Halcyon webbing systems. I choose the OMS IQ, but the Halcyon is great too. However you should be aware that the Transpac II is a SOFT PAK - meaning, no alum or SS back plate. If your even CONSIDERING doubles, IMO you NEED a solid BP for stability and strength. I heave heard of guys using the Transpac II with SINGLE tanks and hearing that they are moving around and too unstable. Think about it, you really want 40-80# on YOUR back with no hard support? I don't!

I dive the TPII every dive. Single AL 80's. Unstable?? Nope. I love the thing. I did just buy a bp though. But it's for duals.

Its BS Scoobydoo.

That post is Mechdiver's opinion of some unnamed third person's rig. Exactly what I mean by third party BS. If you search around here there are posts by persons who have used the TPII with light to medium weight doubles and the result was satisfactory.

A little bit of wobble? I tried a BP for 12 dives and it had a little bit of wobble. Everything has alittle bit of wobble unless it is so tight that it is out of adjustment and hurts.

I have also seen trip reports on the internet regarding people who used their TPII satrisfactorily with doubles. Down at Protech divers in Belize they use TPII" with dual bladder rec wings for doubles all the time. The guy who runs Protech is and IANTD instructor.

Many caving expeditions have been done with the TPII, just check Dive Rite's website. How about side mount?

So, what is your agenda? You think the IQ is better because it has a slide in BP. I call that the steak and lobster mentality. Cant decide if you want soft or hard so get both.

Well leadweight,
I disagree...I certainly wouldn't want twins on MY back w/o a backplate. At least the BP in the OMS provides a solid lock-up for twins. I don't think I'd want twins mounted on MY OMS as a softpack.

Ok, lets go post a POLL...Transpack II or OMS IQ for twins...lets let the audience vote..

As in every other BP discussion around this board, people seem to hold strongly to their opinions. Fair enough.

At the end of the day, I am diving single tank quite a lot and it seems like the TP will be a good solution for me.

Nevertheless, it is worth looking at the OMS configuration again.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom