Uwatec Air Z Nitrox or Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spray25

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. I am going to a hoseless computer. I can't decide between the Air Z or the Vytec.

I am a recreational diver and I do not dive Nitrox. I may some day, but I'm confident it will be a long time from now. Nitrox is not easily available in my area and a home filling station is just not in the budget.

I will want to use the download features of which ever one I buy. I have the Suunto interface already (I have a Cobra) so going to Uwatec would have that added expense. I have yet to play with the Uwatec software, but Suunto's seems basic to me.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

It sounds like you answered your own question already, Spray.

You already have the Suunto download cable, if you know the Cobra you're already familiar with Vytec's interface, and if you ever do go to Nitrox, you can use up to three mixes on the same dive with the Vytec.

I am indeed leaning toward the Vytec, but are there any features or benefits to the Air Z that I would be missing out on?

I have heard some complain that the Vytec is to conservative.

Also, has anyone used the software from both and do they have an opinion of which is better?

Spray25 once bubbled...
Hi all. I am going to a hoseless computer. I can't decide between the Air Z or the Vytec.

I am a recreational diver and I do not dive Nitrox. I may some day, but I'm confident it will be a long time from now. Nitrox is not easily available in my area and a home filling station is just not in the budget.

I will want to use the download features of which ever one I buy. I have the Suunto interface already (I have a Cobra) so going to Uwatec would have that added expense. I have yet to play with the Uwatec software, but Suunto's seems basic to me.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

I had the same problem last year. The 2 same computer.
I chose the Vytec in the end.

Reasons
1. Cheaper in Singapore (Main reason. S$400 difference)

2. I would like to see the time and log it in the dive log
but Aladin has no time function

3. Smaller dive computer as compared to Aladin plus all information are in 1 screen ( However, the size of the transmitter is much bigger than the Unwatec's. therefore have a look at it and see that it will fit your 1st stage before you commit)

4. Alot more functions are user changable eg. bars/psi etc...

However, the Aladin has it's advantages too such as longer battery life and those mentioned above.

Do download the user manuals of these computer and look though them. See which are the functions that u would like to have.

Good luck in your search

Spray25 once bubbled...
I am indeed leaning toward the Vytec, but are there any features or benefits to the Air Z that I would be missing out on?

I have heard some complain that the Vytec is to conservative.

Also, has anyone used the software from both and do they have an opinion of which is better?

Software from Uwatec is too expensive.
Sunnto's has the cheaper one (Free)

But you would have to forked out the $$ to buy the interface for the dive computer

Go with the Suunto. It has more features (clock and water temp). I bought the Uwatec and regret it.

matt

I agree with the previous posts concerning the Vytec...but here was the defining point when I bought mine.

Hypothetical situation:

You're on a trip and your battery goes dead...what then? If you have a Uwatec...you're screwed because you have to send it in to get the battery replaced (I think it's a 1 month turnaround..from what I've heard..could be wrong). The argument by Uwatec owners is that you should have plenty of time to realize that the battery is getting low and that they do last a long time. I understand their point and believe that to be the case.
I also believe in Murphy's Law.
I prefer to have backup batteries with me and change them for my wireless transmitter as well as wrist computer. Just feel more at ease...but then again as stated before, the battery lasts much longer on the Uwatec's. I didn't want to have to wait to get it back from the factory to have the battery changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom