Cebu diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been contemplating a dive trip to the Philippines but want to make it more of a combined holiday/dive trip rather than a deticated dive trip. I'd rather be able to get around and check out some tourist attractions as well as doing some diving.

Cebu has struck me as a possible destination but I have little knowledge of the dive locations close to Cebu city. I was thinking of staying in Cebu city and travelling to the dive sites around Mactan Island. Is this a realistic option? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Splint

Hi Splint

Mactan Island is ok for diving but absolutely not for sightseeing or country tours. A lot of Korean and Japanese Resorts and not much more around it. Much more recommendable is Malapasqua Is. (3 hrs with the taxi and 30min ferryride) for diving but again not much tourist attractions around it. Moalboal might be ok since they have some good diving (Pescador Island) and some Waterfalls and Caves around the area as Tourist attractions. There is also a beach north of Moalboal. To get there with a Taxi takes about 2 hrs and with the bus 3-4 hrs.

Another Option like CLGSAMSON said already would be Bohol 1,45 hrs away from Cebu City by Ferry. Great diving in Cabilao Is. 1,5 hrs north of Tagbilaran City. Cabilao is a very quiet little Island with only a few Resorts on it. A perfect place for relaxing and doing nothing. Tourist Spots on Bohol Is. can be visited easily. There are some very nice Dive sites with some of the best corals I have ever seen.

Another Spot close to Tagbilaran City would be Alona Beach which is about 800m long and has some Restaurants Bars and Resorts on it. Best diving is in Balicasag about 25m with the diveboat. On Bohol there are lots of Tourist attractions like Waterfalls, Chocolate Hills, Tarsier Monkeys, River Cruises and lots more.

Best regards fom Alona........Philipp

Hi Splint,

If you can spare the time, you can try the dive sites down south on either the eastern or the western side of cebu.

Just this last summer, I dove in Alcoy and in Sumilon ( a small island off to the east of cebu. Your take off point is in Oslob). Nice walls with hard coral forming most of the landscape.

There are old churches that dot the towns along the way. About 1.5 hours away is a town called Carcar, some consider this the Vigan of Cebu. It's an old town.

Also, the dive operators in Alcoy can arrange for dive trips to bohol as well.

A couple of years back I went to moalboal which somehow reminded me of anilao but the "wall" version. At that time though, there was plankton bloom and the waters were more green than blue, but I heard the viz can be good.

Life gets slower as you move further down south though. Things are pretty laid back. No out of this world night life. hehe

:D

hi splint,

cebu can be a good option for the simple reason that its right smack in the center of the Philippines. from cebu, you can go to bohol, dumaguete, cagayan de oro, leyte. while mactan doesn't have fantastic diving as compared to bohol (balicasag) or dumaguete (apo island), hilutungan and nalusuan are worth it as well. alot of decent sites around mactan as well. i was surrounded by a school of sardines in tambuli house reef once and that was really nice. at least cebu city has a decent night life as well

dennis

A few suggestions (since you asked) :)

I was in Cebu last year. I spent time in Malapascua, Cebu City, and Moalboal. I had a great time :) There are people who have been there more recently, and there has already been plenty of good advice offered on that area here in this thread. If you do a search you can find several trip reports written in the last year (including mine :))

A few more ideas for you.... Southern Leyte (great diving, pristine reefs, and whale sharks depending on what time of year)... I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list :) Here's a link: WOW Philippines :: Explore Philippines :: Things to Do

Puerto Galera (party atmosphere in Sabang or you can get away from that by going further down the beach)... I've been there twice, most recently in June. Lots of great diving. I also rented a motorcycle and did some sightseeing) heres a link for Oriental Mindoro where Puerto Galera is located: WOW Philippines :: Explore Philippines :: Description

You could spend a few days there, it's a short way from Manila and you could easily spend some time in Manila on the beginning or end of your trip where there are many historical and cultural sights you can visit.

Palawan.... if you really want to get away from it all, I think Palawan might be the place. I haven't been there yet, but I'm planning to go there on my next trip in April :) Here's a link that will give you some background: WOW Philippines :: Explore Philippines :: Things to Do

There is a lot of info out there on the net. These links should give you a place to start your research. Most of my own research was done on Google and here on scubaboard... One thing I truly believe is that no matter where you go in the Philippines, I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom