Dont like diving w/ Sig others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mostly dive with my wife since she certified. I've had some buddies that tend to swim off. A short discussion usually prevents a re-occurence. A little more difficult with an SO. My wife has complained a couple of times that I swim too slow. :D Experience tells me that people with poor buoyancy control, tend to be heavy as opposed to neutral and thus have to swim faster in order not too sink.
Either way, swimming ahead of your buddy is bad form and a recipe for disaster.

My wife has been my only buddy for 5 1/2 years now except for some rescue diver course dives. We used to kind of have disagreements underwater about which direction to go on a dive, but now we usually pick one person who leads for the dive (usually the one with the camera) and the other follows and spots stuff for them. As long as you decide who is going to lead on each dive, its never much of a problem. Just tell your S.O. that you want to lead sometimes and ask them to follow you.

AggieDiver

Sorry Becky,

I'm can't identify with that. I love diving with my GF, The 2 years I've been with her, I can't think of a dive with her that I didn't have fun. She's pretty gutsy but safe. Gets just as wild eyed at everything as I do. Hell, we've even tried to make out at depth *smirk*. She's my favorite dive buddy. Anytime I dive with someone else, I still have fun, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as when I dive with her.

Next time your S/O dive buddy swims ahead of you, pull his mask off. Sooner or later, he'll want to know why he's maskless everytime he takes off. Otherwise, dump his butt and cash him in on a new diver s/o.

-Dennis
So. Cal.

ScubaGhrl once bubbled...
Im just wondering how many people here dont like to dive w/ their sig other?

I just got certified last year, and my 'buddy' swims ahead of me and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Im just wondering, am I the only one?:rolleyes:

Becky

Walter once bubbled...
Unfortunately, it is common.

Ive heard that actually...its really too bad..There are reasons why people get certified together (even if at different times). You should be able to share the wonders of diving together. Since we are both so new, hopefully we can grow toghther.

He's mad that I posted this, but I had a feeling that this was common and was curious. Relationships are hard enough when you have to listen to someone, but not being able to speak is just frustrating.
Hopefully nothing time wont solve..

There are very few people besides her I'm willing to dive buddy with. We swim side by side, not one in front of the other. We are dedicated to "team" style diving and are always aware of what the other is doing. I wouldn't have it any other way. We also have phenomenal "non-verbal" communication skills from years of being best friends. I truly think this is the ultimate dive buddy pairing.

Brian

.... if its deep, dark or cold my wife would rather not and I have a buddy for those dives. On the other hand if its Carribean my deep buddy gets bored. So I consider myself lucky to have some one to do whatever kind of diving I want to do.

ScubaGhrl once bubbled...
Relationships are hard enough when you have to listen to someone, but not being able to speak is just frustrating.
Hopefully nothing time wont solve..

IMHO If you can't discuss this, which could potentially be life threatening if you have a problem when he's gone ahead, then you've got bigger problems than a poor dive buddy. Before we started diving together, we sailed together. Many similarities, as water and nature do not forgive mistakes. I'd rather sail or dive alone than with someone I can't depend upon. At least that way you know you're on your own.

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

IMHO If you can't discuss this, which could potentially be life threatening if you have a problem when he's gone ahead, then you've got bigger problems than a poor dive buddy. Before we started diving together, we sailed together. Many similarities, as water and nature do not forgive mistakes. I'd rather sail or dive alone than with someone I can't depend upon. At least that way you know you're on your own.

I agree..Weve only done two dives together though. Hopefully this summer we will become more comfortable in the water together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom