My first dive with Halcyon Pioneer 27 lbs BP/WING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
As with many of the newbie ( i am not a DIR by a long shot) looking to get their first gear, the choice is overwhelming (especially in the BC market). The main reason that attracted me to purchase the Halcyon bp/wing system is it's modularity that leads to a BC system that will grow with my diving.

So i decided to purchase the Halcyon Pioneer 27 lbs wing with 6 lbs stainless steel Plate and ACB 10 lbs weight system without even actually seeing one in real life before.

-- My Profile --

I have only experience with Zeagle Concept Pro II BC , used in my OW class and check out dives and i just got certified few months ago

-- First Dive Report --

As soon as i was underwater, gone were the once body tight hugging cumberband and cluttered of the Zeagle Concept II Pro BC. I also have a fuller range of motion for both of my arms and torso.

The tank doesnt even move a nudge on my back regardless of the movement of my body.

MOST OF ALL, THE BC SEEMS TO DISSAPEAR ON MY BACK !! It's so streamline, even with my huge Console running across my chest to the right sholder D-Ring and the two HUGE ACB weight system, I seem and feel to be MORE AERODYNAMIC and MOVE FASTER underwater. No more restrictive movement and drag causing clutterness on my body.

CONCLUSION: If Divers forgone their Jacket or Vest style BC for the Freedom of a back Inflate BC, then Divers should exclude their back inflate BC and go with the Freedom and Streamlining of a BP/Wing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONs

- can be frustrated to setup and adjust all the harness. Especially if you do not have an experience person to help you out initially.

- harness can be harsh to bare skin, Tropical divers wear at least a rash guard or get shoulder padding from OMS. ALso i do not want to imagine the abrasion on the thigh with the croutch strap.

- If you plan to use an ordinary console computer, you might have to find creative ways to attach it to the BC. Right now i have a retractable for my Datamax Pro Plus 2 attached to right shoulder D-Ring and this is not recommended and will spoil the streamlining of the Halcyon

- If you plan to dive with different setup ( 3/2 mm, 5 mm , 6mm suits or whatever... ) adjusting the harness for each fit is FRUSTRATING.

- If you need to dump air, you have to find the button or the pull string below the BC. because there is no pull dump

- ACB weight system is EXPENSIVE ! wearing a weight belt might defy the purpose of the "clean" design of the BC

- You might need to spend more $$ to get snap bolts , d-rings, pouch ...etc, for your lights , cameras ...etc.

PROs

- there is no pull dump (this can be a pro and cons for some people). Pro is there will no failure point or leak point.

- Everything is customizable on the BC, you can add as many accesories like D-rings to suit you each INDIVIDUAL UNIQUE NEED

- Modularity, the BC will grow with you and your diving.

- Streamlining - you will not feel that you are actually wearing a BC. As you become more stramline your movement is also a bit faster underwater.

- Freedom of movement , the clean design coupled with uncluttered front, helps me breath easier and gave me many range of movement. Even with the huge ACB weighting system.

- Certainly weight less than the Zeagle BC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verdict: Despite its cons, i do not regret my purchase of the Halcyon Pioneer 27 lbs BP/WING system. The Freedom and unclutterness of the BC is worth the admission price itself.

If you are in market for a BC, take the BP/WING Challenge, if not just for the fun of trying something different :D

... i will keep on posting as i have more dive time with the BC :)

Congratulations.Another happy BP/Wing owner. Brace yourself for a certain anti bp/wing member(s) to downplay your post about being happy with your set up. Now we will sit and wait to see if he shows up.:D

Glad to hear that you liked it.

Some suggestions regarding the cons.

1. You may be able to attach a zip tie to the console and a bolt snap to the zip tie, which allows you to attach to the waist D-Ring. You may consider substituting cave line for zip ties.

If the console doesn't have an attachment point, consider zip ties/cave line on the hose near the point where it enters the console.

2. Someone in another thread suggested fabric softener will soften the straps.

3. Stick with a weight belt or get a harness. ACB is nice, but not necessary.

You could try threading the weights onto your webbing around your waste and sliding them to the back. Or, you could add weight to your BP. This could be done by mounting weights on the plate or getting a weighted tank adapter. :wink:

but I was just pimping the lightweights who are always crying about how they don't like the stiff straps...

It might work, but I was being facetious...I softened mine by diving it frequently.

Hi everyone! New poster here! :)

I'm also looking to get the Pioneer 27 MC system... ok, my question is regarding the lift capacity & weight system...

I use the Tri-lam suit from Henderson... so far I can get by with only 4lbs...actually even less...

Now, when I first started out, I originally wanted the Zeagle Ranger... thinking (WOW! 45lbs of lift! I'll be ready for anything) ... but seeing as how I don't need any weights on me, my last dive, I used an old US Divers 25lbs BW bladder w/ 4lbs... and I was fine...

Will a 2-3mm REGULAR wetsuit require more than 4 lbs to offset it? I always used neutral suits so I was just wondering if I'd need to get trim weights or something for the 27s. Thanks!

Note: I also recently switched to full-foot fins... and they feel faster than the usual buckled ones... only draw back is walking around bare-foot when not wearing the fins. :p

PS- to all Halcyon owners... can you replace the inflator with an Air2 or similar alt air system? Thanks! :)

Also take a look at the Oxycheq 30# wing. I got it with the Koplin SS Backplate and the Lite Weight STA. The STA is less than 1lb, only adds 5/16" and seem much more stable than going without one.

Charlie...

Ok, question for Halcyon 27 owners... is there a shoulder dump option? If not... does the bottom dump work in a heads-up position? ... I'm just imagining scenarios... say you replaced the inflator with a combo octo... emergency ascent, deflate BC... can I do a remote dump? Or do I do the usual remove octo from mouth, deflate, return octo to mouth....etc...? Thanks!

Hello!

Just want to get a feel of things...I've seen a demo session of a backplate-setup being put on and it seemed to me a whole lot slower and more hassling than just slipping on the conventional jacket rigs.

Is this a misconception or an inconvenience/ hassle that backplate-rig users put up with in order to "Do It Right" so to speak?

All that streamlined gear does look cool in ads though....only thing that's stopping me right now is the apparent hassle in donning the stuff. Kinda makes diving seem like too much work...hope I'm wrong about it though. I have been tempted to switch a couple of times I must admit...my "less than perfect fitting" jacket-rig is getting on me nerves...it rides up underwater and shifts a little with certain movements. Groan....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom