Can't get away from a feet down position at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmfd404

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like to start off by saying that this is my first post. And that I find this site informational and seem to help a lot of people now let's see if all you guys and gals can help me. Now for my problem in which I need guidance tips or suggestions. I have difficulties in obtaining a level attitude in the water at depth I seem to want to drift in to a fee down position unless I'm moving and then still struggle from time to time. I have tried putting all my lead in my front pockets all on the back and split up between the front and the back. I find that if I put most of my lead on my back it helps quite a bit but does not fix the problem. The only thing I have not tried is moving my tank up and down my bcd so I am looking for any hints tips and trick that you maybe able to share with me.
Thank you all for your time in reading this long post and look forward to your words of wisdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be helpful to list a location because in my opinion the best thing to do would be to work with a quality instructor. I had the same issue, and I fixed it by:

1. Getting a BP/W
2. Working with Kevin (previous poster) in the water

So if we know where you are located someone might be able to suggest good instructors nearby.

Getting your "trim" right takes practice and sometimes help from another seasoned mentor.

If you are feet heavy and have moved your lead up into the trim pockets or onto the cam straps but still find yourself feet heavy or head up, you will have to move your tank higher up towards your head.

im unsure if over weighting is the issue but i am not saying its out of the question. i have to problem i all typs of wetsuits and dry suits one example set up of mine would be i use a black dimond bc alm 80 tank turtle fins and only 6 lb of lead all in the trim pockets and valve of the tank stoped level with the upper most part of my bc bladder

im unsure if over weighting is the issue but i am not saying its out of the question. i have to problem i all typs of wetsuits and dry suits one example set up of mine would be i use a black dimond bc alm 80 tank turtle fins and only 6 lb of lead all in the trim pockets and valve of the tank stoped level with the upper most part of my bc bladder

It may not be, 6lbs doesnt sound excessive. Well, here's what you can do, as best as I can tell you on the internet.

If you assume a horizontal position, arms in front, knees bent, you have some control of your center of gravity. The control is excersised by pulling your fins closer to your butt and stretching your arms in front of you to go more head down, or the opposite to go more head up.

The best thing to do would be to have a guy that's good at it have a look at you in the water.

im sorry i for got to say that that example was with a 3 mill shorty im sorry for leaving that part out

I work out with weights and run 15 - 20 miles each week and thus have a very low body fat percentage. I find I have to wear my weights quite high to keep my trim. I find other divers who are runners have to do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom