Tips for Komodo Dancer trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Going on the Komodo Dancer roundtrip itinerary in the near future.

Any tips specific to the Komodo Dancer? Do's and don'ts? Before getting on the boat, after getting off?

I'm familiar with liveaboard diving but any tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

You lucky guy. That trip is one of the best I've ever had. I highly recommend you get to Bali at least 1 full day early and get some rest. I'd also stay a couple of days after the trip to see the area. It's magical and the people are fantastic though some areas are very crowded. Many of the hotels are excellent and not that expensive when compared to the cost of your entire trip. The state department almost always has warnings out for Indonesia but we felt very safe at all times. We did stay at or near the hotel at night however and we avoided the bar scene.

I can't think of any specific diving tips for this liveaboard. There are a couple of places near Komodo where the water temp will be a little cooler than the rest of the dives.

Have a great time.

Hmmm...don't miss the boat! I did a couple years ago (due to flight screw ups that were my own fault) and it took me three days to catch up. This meant a puddle-jumper flight to Labuan Bajo, my own private chartered fishing boat for a 4 1/2 hour putt-putt cruise to Komodo, and one night sleeping at the ranger station in Komodo park. I woke up to a huge komodo dragon right outside my spider-infested cabin. It was all pretty adventurous, but I would not do it that way again.

Bring a warm wetsuit. The water there was not as warm as I had expected. I came from a couple weeks in Manado and only had a Henderson TriLam. Great for the warm water up in Sulawesi, but not enough for Komodo. On the south side of Rincon Island the water was much colder. Fortunately for me one of the crew had an extra 5mm shortie.

You can see a virtual tour of the Komodo Dancer that I did when I was there. I'll start you off at the top of the mast. Don't get dizzy!

Absolutely spend some time in Bali. Ubud is my favorite place. I don't stay for less than a week when I'm bringing friends there because there is so much to do. I've been there five or six times, so feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.

Bonnie

One more thing. Don't attempt to drive in Bali. Hire a driver. There are many who speak English and they can cost you as little as $40 for the whole day. I used a company named Multilinas Eranusa when I was there for five weeks. They were WONDERFUL and cost very little. I found them through IndonesiaPromo.com, who is located in the US. I also hired a guide and after many years we still keep in touch and see each other when I'm in Bali. The people there are wonderful.

Make sure you also get a massage. They are very cheap.

Many thanks for the tips! Glad there are only positive responses. :)

I do intend to stay a few days afterwards. I am interested in any specific thoughts. I thought about rainforest and rice terraces. I will pm for details. Thanks.

Yes, I'm not driving! I'll intend to use a driver. I'll check out that site.

Oh yes, I was likely bringing my 5MM suit, thinking it would fit most situations and I can always cool off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom