Bunaken or Gangga or other in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
Which area has the better diving/accomodations--Gangga (Gangga Island Resort) or Bunaken (Cha Cha Bunaken Resort)? or another spot entirely in North Sulawesi? We'll be diving a week at Kasawari in Lembeh and want to do a second week of pretty reefs. Would prefer not a lot of current but know that at times we'll have some. Also love to snorkel.

Thanks.

Accommodation-wise, those are two totally different places; Cha Cha is very nice (for Bunaken standards), in that it has hot water, A/C, but no pool or other major amenities.
Gangga resort is "top class" in that is has a pool, gorgeous beach, a la carte menus, massage/spa, gaming room, etc..but it is also more than double the price...so indeed you "get what you pay for".

Not knowing you personally, but based upon your preference for Kasawari in Lembeh, I'd think Gangga is more to your liking, as far as accommodation. But again, I am just basing this on what info. you have given in your post (you didn't mention a budget, or what amenities you want/need, etc..)

Diving wise : some similarities between the two spots in that both have "pretty" corals, excellent vis, possibly shark, napoleon wrasse, bumphead sightings, etc...however Bunaken is primarily wall diving, while Gangga has more gentle sloping reefs, white sandy bottoms, and probably cleaner/more pristine conditions overall.

Both are subject to currents in July (depending on tides, dive site, time of day, etc..) and both offer decent snorkeling--however, surface trash is commonly seen around Bunaken while at Gangga, much less-- if any at all.

Certainly the "remote-ness" gives Gangga an added air of "exclusivity" which is desirable for some--and were it my honeymoon, or other "once in a lifetime" occasion, I'd splurge for it myself. But ultimately, it depends on how much of your total satisfaction is about the diving (alone) and how much is about the rest of your overall holiday experience.

They are both nice, but different. Sorry if I just added further to your confusion!:wink:

HB

Gangga/Bangka has many fewer boats. Bunaken - lots of boats. More variety of diving at Gangga since it has access to Northern Sulawesi as well as Bangka island sites. Gangga is definitely more upscale. July is not the best month in Northern Sulawesi as that has more wind - as does August.

I am looking for the same thing... pretty much. Group of us spending 10+ days in N. Sulawesi in Aug/Sept. Planning to stay at NAD for 1/2 time and something else for the rest. As can tell from NAD, we dont need deluxe but AC, Hot water, Great crew and diving are musts. Havnt looked at resorts much yet so open to opinions. Want to dive dive dive! Say 10+ days because at least one of group can only stay for 10 days, but I want to stay a little longer... How is transportation from NAD - ??? - Manado?

If you had a choice between Bali-Tulamben or Gangga.....which would you do?

If you had a choice between Bali-Tulamben or Gangga.....which would you do?

Gangga: imho, more fauna, better variety of diving, less divers !

I have not been there but my friends tell me that Gangga Island Resort is all +++++ 's. Going early October myself finally after much research. Cand get to Lembeh, Bunaken and Bangka from there.

Just returned from 5 days diving at Gangga Island. NE corner of Sulawesi, Indonesia. It is wonderful diving and a first class resort. DM's and crew very helpful. All you need to do for yourself is breathe. Weather patterns seemed much better (less rain) than Monado area even though they are near to each other. Highly recommended. Very global origin of guests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom