Questions from the sunny Southwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckofabq

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy New England area divers!
My wife has just accepted a 2 year contract that will have her in Providence. Her trips back to New Mexico will be less likely than my trips to visit your neck of the woods.
Bottom line, other than a great 7mm or better yet, learning dry, what should I expect for diving in your back yard? I do dig the wrecks- and can only imagine what you have in store.
I'm excited- and can take the cold- as the only diving here is freshwater springs a couple of hours from ABQ.
Looking forward to your response!
CK-

Welcome! Fairly close to Providence, RI, we've got good shore diving 20 miles north of Boston in Cape Ann (Rockport and Gloucester) and many interesting sites in Rhode Island, itself. Vis will generally be better around Cape Ann (in the 20-40' range).

Water temps in the late summer will range from 45 to 65 F, warmer in Rhode Island generally, and warmest in shallower water or protected bays.

Wrecks are plentiful and charters are super!

Drysuits are definitely worthwhile and winter diving can be nice, at least for the better vis, although less marine life is around.

Dive site descriptions for Cape Ann:

Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div

The regulars here will provide better info about Rhode Island, and perhaps a different opinion than mine.... :D

Enjoy! Give a holler when you get up here!

Dave C

Where at in New Mexico? I grew up in Las Cruces.

Rhode Island wrecks you say???

Get yourself a copy of this little tome: SHIPWRECKS OF RHODE ISLAND AND CONNECTICUT

OK . . . so it's a gratuitous plug for a friend's book!:D However, it is a great reference and introduction to what RI wrecks are about.

You can also check out the two links in my signature. Dave's site covers all of New England.

And let me be the first to welcome you to diving in our neck of the woods.

Dennis

Howdy New England area divers!
My wife has just accepted a 2 year contract that will have her in Providence. Her trips back to New Mexico will be less likely than my trips to visit your neck of the woods.
Bottom line, other than a great 7mm or better yet, learning dry, what should I expect for diving in your back yard? I do dig the wrecks- and can only imagine what you have in store.

We have dozens of wrecks that are well known, whose dates of loss range from 1778 to just a couple of years ago. There are many, many more that are known to only a few and even more that have never been located. Who knows, maybe you will add another one to the list!

. . . There are many, many more that are known to only a few and even more that have never been located. Who knows, maybe you will add another one to the list!

Teaser!:D

Most excellent, and thank you all!
"BrandNew," I'm in Albuquerque, but we go yearly to Las Cruces to the Mesilla Valley Balloon Rally. It's always great flying weather the 2nd week of January.
Thanks again- and I'll start doing my homework (and contacting a dive shop about learning dry suit)
CK-

You don't need a drysuit. 7mm works great and less expensive, too. If you get a chance, take a weekend trip to the 1000 Islands. The wrecks are plentiful and the scenery is great.

Mark - I am not sure dry suits are never needed. My son and I did our annual Thanksgiving day dive here in Lake Sunapee, NH. The water was 40 degrees on the surface and about 39 degrees at about 27 ft. We had a nice dive, but it was nice to be dry. I agree 7mm is great for summer into fall, but I prefer the dry to extend the season.

Bob

You can also go sledding nekkid in the snow as well.... But It's far more fun if you dress warmly..If you want to dive here in the winter, dive dry. It's friggin cold bro.

Back
Top Bottom