new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DESIGNERDIVER

IS IT SUMMER YET?
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
I am scheduled to do my checkout dives in december and in the meantime am researching gear. I plan on buying my own right after my certification. One thing that seems to be a challenge for me is SEEING the gages. I wear reading glasses but see distance fine I was told you can have a mask with prescriptions put in but being ONLY 44 (LOL) i do not want to permantly alter my mask beside I do not think i will like that in my mask. Can anyone reccomend a computer/gage that has large lit data but dosent cost $800.00 also seeing the compass is a concern as well. any reccomendations or experience would be helpful
thanks in advance for all your help and input:D

You can get little "stick in" magnifier bi-focals for your mask. I need reading glasses too, so I have a Trident Dive Optix magnifier stuck in the left side of my mask so I can see my computer readout.

thanks for the reply putting it only on the left side is a great idea and easy
thanks!

You can also look at a computer such as the Suunto Gekko which has a fairly large face. Another choice might be the sherwood wisdom 2 air integrated console which you can pick up for less than $500 from LP.

I'm blind as a bat (20/400 on the right eye and astigmatism on the left). My first several dives were with my basic mask without prescription lenses. Can't see squat above water but underwater I was OK. I didn't have any problem with reading the numbers off the pressure and depth gauges (no computer then), and definitely no problem with reading the compass. I only lose out on some fine details but I was fully functional with the magnification of the water acting as corrective lenses. When I got my good masks, I put prescription lenses in them and that makes it more comfortable out of water and seeing the finer details, but otherwise I didn't gain any functionality.

PS I'm now using the Sherwood Wisdom 2 because of the large displays. Very easy to glance at and decipher everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom