Backplate harness question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlocked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I dive in several different environments with either a simple swimsuit (The Homestead Crater), a 3 mil shortie (the pool and Belmont Hot Springs), or a 7 mil wetsuit (about everywhere else.) Is a simple one piece harness going to be forgiving enough that I will not need to adjust it for each dive or would an adjustable "deluxe" harness be a better choice?

I wear a 3mm, a 5mm, and a drysuit depending on conditions. I don't adjust mine for the various suits. I suppose it would be better if I did but its a hassle and I don't. It works fine for me.

The difference between nothing and a 7mm is pretty big though. I guess I'm really not sure how well it will work if you don't adjust it.

The adjustment is not nearly as hard as some would have you believe though.

WW

I dive my BP/Wing with no suit, all the way up to 14mil. The harness does not need to be readjusted. For a drysuit...most likely yes.

landlocked once bubbled...
I dive in several different environments with either a simple swimsuit (The Homestead Crater), a 3 mil shortie (the pool and Belmont Hot Springs), or a 7 mil wetsuit (about everywhere else.) Is a simple one piece harness going to be forgiving enough that I will not need to adjust it for each dive or would an adjustable "deluxe" harness be a better choice?

I don't think it's necessary to readust, but if you do, you can leave off the triglides on the bottom where the harness goes through the bp, leave some slack, put the whole thing on, then yank the ends of the waist belt to snug up where you want it. Little tougher on the webbing, but it works. You only need an inch or 2 of slack.

MD

Same as the rest here.
I used my harness for a couple of Whale shark and Manta Dives last summer, with no exposure protection, without adjustment. After a few days of it I fashioned a couple of "Dork" straps for the shoulders, but that was just to stop scuffing. Other than that, it seemed fine.

I do not adjust my harness when I move between my 3/2mm and my drysuit.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom