Do I shave it off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbo

Registered
Reaction score
ok, so time for a bizarre question. I recently returned from holidays and decided to grow my goatee. The problem is (other than the grey spots) is that my mask now leaks enough that I'm constantly having to clear the mask. Help! Do I have to get rid of the goat? The water up the nose is a bit annoying and this is only in a 10' pool goofing around with my kids.

Jimbo,

Try wearing your mask over your eyes instead of your chin.

Hope this helps.

ID

"A wasted mind is a terrible thing"

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour! I guess I could shave off the moutache part and leave like a little goatee on the bottom. I don't really play the skateboard dude all that well though.

Practice no mask breathing. When that become second nature, it won't matter if it leaks a tad. I always wear a full beard, it's not a problem, clearing my mask is automatic.

WWW™

But I have the same problem with mine, I shave a little just below the nose and keep it from getting stubbled. This works for me.

Hopes this helps (really)

ID

Been wearing a full mustache and diving with it for 30 years. Just keep the tiniest positive pressure in your mask by letting a little air out of your nose all the time - no problem.
Rick

You could also try coating your mustache with silicone before you get in the water. The silicone helps the mask make a better seal. Or, you may want to try a purge mask. Some people love them.

I have a beard, and had the same problem until I found ... "The right mask"... :)

Hunt around... try different masks... I eventually settled on an Oceanic "Trend" something or other... It seemed to have a smaller skirt around the nose area, and this was just enough to allow the mask to seal perfectly.

You might also want to trim a little around the undernose area...I'm not talking about wholesale shaving, just a trim.

Most diveshops sell "mask seal"... a gel/vaseline-like substance that you can smear on... It works well, although you'll have to apply it again after each dive. It also has a tendency to lose it's effectiveness if you clear your mask alot during a dive.

Jimbo,
Take a little vaseline and rub at the junction of your nose and upper lip.

RonC.

Jimbo,

Obviously, your question is not as bizarre as you thought. Based on my personal 'full-bearded' experience you have already been given a number of good suggestions, several of which I presently use.

As per ID's suggestion, shave the 'stashe a tiny bit under the nose -- just enough to let the under-nose mask skirt contact clean-shaven skin and not facial hair. Depending on your mask (and how thin you wish your mustache to be) you follow the lower mask skirt line over to the smile line. Be sure to get the smile line clear.

And, as Scubabunny suggested, you can lightly coat the mask skirt with silicon grease to improve its seal. One caution, though. If your mask has a clear skirt, the silicon grease will gradually cloud or discolor it.
If that's not a problem for you, you'll find a tiny film of silicon grease will improve the seal under the nose and around the 'smile line'.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom