Does Anyone dive a Panerai Watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was wondering if any scubaboarders dive a Panerai Watch on a regular basis? I received one as a present from my wife and I am tempted to use it diving. It is a nice watch and it history are very much for diving. Though the they don't have a rotating beel to help in keeping track of bottom time.

I already dive with a Citizen Aqualand 20th Anniversary or a SBS watch as a back up to my dive computer so it's not as if I need to dive the Paneari. It is more that it seems a shame to leave it at home when it is supposed to be built for the water.

For those who do dive a Panerai, how often do you have it serviced and pressure tested?

What are your general impressions? They have such a cult following among collectors, but all tey discuss in the related forums are it history and pedigree but never how they actually dive with them.

I don't own a panerai - I use a Suunto Vyper & a Citizen Aqualand as backup/deco timer

If it doesn't have a bezel, that makes me wonder 1. Is it dive rated, and to what depth? and 2. how would it be useful during a dive?

You can always set it to midday at the start of the dive if you just want to use it as a bottom timer, but that's not always a great idea

You don't say what model? What is the strap material?

I get my TAG and Omega serviced once every 2 years or so (although the recommendation for the TAG is 1 year as it's automatic), and pressure tested if they've been opened (eg battery replacement - not for the TAG obviously)

Well, I just wanted to get it wet given it's history and pedigree. Yeah, I too dive a computer (mares nemo) and a citizen aquakand as back up. I just entertained the idea of taking it down with me on occassion. It is rated to 300m and I have no reason to doubt it. I agree with you about the lack of a bezel and diving. It has a rubber strap that definitely looks 'diver'. It is a Luminor Marina.

Was just curious with regards to whether anyone acually dives with one regularly. I dove with my submariner a few times and stopped after getting a deep scratch from a stainless steel ladder of a boat. Plus the cost of maintaining the water tight seals is just too much to deal with. Am more than happy with my aqualand and a Technomarine that I dive with regularly.

Anyway, thanks for the only reply I have gotten from this thread. I guess not that many Panerai fans on SB.

I guess not!

Anyway, if it has a rubber strap and is 300m rated, then I don't see any reason not to take it on an adventure, even if it's only for the hell of it

The only reason I said the 'set to midday' plan wasn't a great idea is that your bottom time doesn't always start when you jump out of the boat (or definitely not if you're, say, shore diving), and you can't/don't want to be adjusting the time when you're in the water - but if you splash and dash, it'll work fine, and at least you don't have to worry about rubbing the bezel on something and shortening your dive

Have fun, nice watch

I've owned about a half dozen or so over the years, all prior to becoming a diver.

That said, I would never take one diving. Not that it couldn't take it, but they are not practical diver's watches. Plus the fact that they cost 3-4x what my Vytec DS costs, why would I risk scratching a Panny?

Panerai has a very long and rich diving history (you knew that). I don't own one (wish I did) but I wouldn't hesitate to dive it once in a while with one caveat: I'd have it pressure tested once a year to ensure water tight integrity. Seals can and do go bad, and if it happened in salt water, that would be a VERY expensive repair (replacing everything inside the case!).

Dive it once in awhile! It deserves to live up to it's heritage :wink:.

Back
Top Bottom