AOW course question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropitan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy folks; this is my first post. I'm a relatively new diver, have 30 dives (mostly from shore). I decided to take the Advanced Open Water PADI course a couple of weeks ago and wondered if my experience is typical. The instructor reviewed the knowledge review section for each kind of dive, then we got on the boat for the associated dives. There were two to four tourists on the boat with us, and when we splashed, I had virtually no interaction with the instructor for the duration of the dive. The instructor was basically a tour quide for the tourists, and I got to 'tag along'. The photography dive was the worst: After our descent, it was all I could do to keep up with the instructor (he had a video camera) and tourists. I had no time to try and compose a shot, much less practice the techniques taught in the course, while trying to maintain bouyancy. My question is: should I expect more from the instructor while on the dive, or is this supposed to be 'self learning'. Thanks for your thoughts.

Howdy folks; this is my first post. I'm a relatively new diver, have 30 dives (mostly from shore). I decided to take the Advanced Open Water PADI course a couple of weeks ago and wondered if my experience is typical. The instructor reviewed the knowledge review section for each kind of dive, then we got on the boat for the associated dives. There were two to four tourists on the boat with us, and when we splashed, I had virtually no interaction with the instructor for the duration of the dive. The instructor was basically a tour quide for the tourists, and I got to 'tag along'. The photography dive was the worst: After our descent, it was all I could do to keep up with the instructor (he had a video camera) and tourists. I had no time to try and compose a shot, much less practice the techniques taught in the course, while trying to maintain bouyancy. My question is: should I expect more from the instructor while on the dive, or is this supposed to be 'self learning'. Thanks for your thoughts.

I did my AOW this summer. My night dive and altitude dives were basically tours but my other dives (deep, navigation, search and recovery, and peak performance bouyancy all had tasks involved. I know you had to do the navigation dive. How did the instructor handle that?

My question is: should I expect more from the instructor while on the dive, or is this supposed to be 'self learning'. Thanks for your thoughts.

You should expect him to provide the kind of service and instruction he described when you asked him prior to signing up. Did you ask? :D

Unfortunately, it sounds like he took advantage of you, and the course was probably substandard and not worth the money.

Better luck next time.

Dave C

well for the most part tours are what I have noticed they use on most specialties. Sine exceptions do occur such as peak performance buoyancy etc. But by far like night diving its more of a familiarization dive and has some small incisions added like turning the lights off and seeing how it looks.

It is unfortunate you were not supervised during the photography portion of your class. what about the other adventure dives you did? Deep diver and Navigation are required and I can't see those being given the same lack of supervision.

Some classes are better than others, but this one sounds seriously lame at best. I'm curious too what your other dives were and what the instructor did for the required deep and navigation dives.

I don't know if it is TYPICAL, but that's certainly not the way it is supposed to work.

There are two required dives - Deep Dive and Navigation dive. For the deep dive, you should have been with the instructor, and doing specific things. For the navigation dive you should be working with a buddy to do certain things. How did these two dives go for you?

You then have three optional dives. Sounds like photo was one. What were the other two?

For me my optional three were naturalist (did on own), peak performance buoyancy (did with instructor), and I think, boat dive (because I flubbed the night dive and they wouldn't count it). Nothing to boat dive - can do that on your own too.

Based on what I know - it's entirely possible the photo dive could be fairly considered independent, but certainly not the deep or nav dives.

My class was entirely free - and an unanticipated bonus at that - so I had absolutely no room to complain. But it sounds like you might.

There are specific standards for each course. But you should have been under direct supervision of an instructor for all parts. Now, it sounds like this instructor was trying to do double duty as DM for the recreational divers as well as your course.
That is just not acceptable, in my book. When I have a class, no matter what the course, I Never divide my time or attention. My job as that course instructor is to instruct, evaluate, and remediate the student. Not lead a recreational group's dive. You got shorted.
Check the agency standards. Until students start finding out what their expectations for a course should be and start addressing and reporting when standards are breached, things like this will continue to happen.
I don't want to hurt any of my fellow instructors, but I do, however, want these poor instructors to stop damaging my reputation by association. It's simple, teach a better course, and they will keep coming back to you. Teach a poor course, and they will not return and they'll tell everybody.

PADI should publish the standards for all courses on-line, and put information on how to access this info at the front of every book it publishes. Instructors should also be required to provide this information to students before accepting payment.

Sounds like my class.
The night dive was cool in that we did stay together as a group and we did run some nav and BC stuff before he cut me loose on those dives but on the photo and deep.....I was on my own.... not that I minded.
The groups were still in close proximity and the vis was incredible, so I was able to shoot some nice photos and still keep and eye on the group as to not fall too far behind.

I guess you can't really expect them to hold your hand the entire time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom