log book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I keep a log. Most of my dives are guided dives. But sometimes I dive with who ever I can find. I don’t have them sign my book. So how dose a DM know the diver has made recent dives? :confused:

on my computer, downloading from my dive computer.

If I have reason to believe some op will want to see it, I print the summary page that is most pertinent and take it with me.

If they want to argue, they can check the ID of my computer against the log's entry for it. While I suppose I COULD fake it, I could also fake a paper log.....

Thanks for the info. I hadn’t though of that. My dive computer shows the date and time of my last few dives. So my next question. How long do you have to be down before you consider it a dive? I know in some of my training. We were getting two dives of one tank. This didn’t set to well with me. I have been with others. Doing search and recover that counted every time they went down for ten minutes a dive. I guess this could be a personal preference. But I try to count one tank one dive.

I never kept a log book from 1961 until 2000. I did all of my diving where I lived and people knew me. No reason to log dives.

When I decided in June, 200, to do some international dive travel, I was advised to start keeping a log book to prove my diving experience to operators. Logged well over 500 dives since then so I keep my "log" on my Internet site to show to international dive operators if need be.

I don't have buddies sign my log, in part because 70-80% of my diving is solo. Besides, it's ungainly to add signatures to my dive log web page! However it is often important to document one's diving history when traveling.

Dr. Bill

If it feels like a dive, it's a dive....

I've logged every dive that's felt like it's an entity in and of itself. For my OW cert, we bobbed up and down a few times, but they weren't independent events hence 4 dives when probably there were 6 or 7 "surface to underwater and back" events.

I've logged a couple very short dives because there was something I wanted to make sure I remembered about them. I use my log book for equipment and weight purposes, conditions, and just as a diary.

So far, I've had my c-card checked, but never my log book.

Rachel

P.S. This make 50 posts, now I can finally put up an avatar. Yippee!

Rachel,

And a COOL avatar it is!

-Dennis

Bubbling along in the cold waters of California without an Avatar. *pout*

biscuit7 once bubbled...
If it feels like a dive, it's a dive....

P.S. This make 50 posts, now I can finally put up an avatar. Yippee!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom