Mares Vectra Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolute

Reaction score
My fiancee and myself just got certified (PADI OWD) and we are looking to purchase some dive gear. We currently hav our wetsuits, mask, snorkles, wetsuit boots, and fins. We are not the richest people out there and are looking to buy the Mares Vectra BC'S. Does anyone have any info on these BC'S.

Absolute, I dont have any info but I am also looking at buying one I found one on the LP wed-site for $179.95 what kind of price did you find it for?

Bryan,

I assume you mean the Mares Vector. There are three models: Vector 1000 MRS, Vector Chrome MRS and Vector Origin. The Vector Origin is the basic jacket-style BC, and I'm guessing that's the model you're considering.

I dive a BP/wing, so my opinion on BC's in general is somewhat slanted. However, I did buy my brother a Mares last week, so I got to play with some in the LDS pool.

The Vector Origin is an entry-level BC. It is not weight-integrated, if you're looking for that feature. Its 840 denier shell felt a bit flimsy to me, but I'm accustomed to heavy-duty materials like steel and 1680 ballistic nylon, so take that into account. The inflator hose is too long for my taste (again, BP/wing hose is significantly shorter), but the "ergo inflator" fits the hand comfortably--not that you should be hanging onto the inflator very often. Rodale's indicates that the exhaust valves aren't so great, but I didn't really notice it because I had the thing deflated the entire time. If you plan on diving a lot or in more demanding conditions, you should consider upgrading to a different BC. The buoyancy characteristic were about standard; nothing to write home about. The fit was...well...about what you'd expect from a jacket-style BC. I adjusted it so that it fit reasonably well, but there's just nothing like the secure lovin' you get from a dialed-in backplate and harness. As for riding up, I was horizontal underwater and I surfaced in the shallow end of the pool, so I can't tell you about that.

One entry-level recommendation from my LDS is the Oceanic Ocean Pro QLR. It's weight-integrated for about just a little more money, and the LDS thinks it's a solid value for the money. It also has heavier-duty materials (1600 denier/500 denier nylon) than the Mares, so it may last you a bit longer.

Hi Bryan and Azatty,

I also found this BC on LP for the same price, since it was more expensive on diversdirect. Azatty thanks for the info. My dive shop really frustrated me here in Colorado, I told them about the price on LP for this BC, ( they actually want 385 for the Mares Vectra Origin) but they told me never to buy from on-line stores claiming they have no warranties. So this is making me worry. I used this bc on my certification dives in Mexico and it worked great. Do either one of you or anyone else know about warranties of LP. Azatty or Bryan does the origin have a backplate?

Rodale's indicates that the exhaust valves aren't so great

On the web site they say the power inflator leaks and the dump valves dont flow as fast as the power inflator can fill the bc. They also claim the pockets are too small and hard to get into.

I just recieved the latest issue of Rodales Scuba Dving magazine and in it they give the BCD a scuba lab testers chioce along with rating the valves a perfect 5. In fact they say the vlaves were one of the good features on this BC. Which confusses me why would the web site say one thing and the mag anouther.

For $180 this BC is a bargin. On the LP site you can also get the Mares scuba package #1 which comes with the BCD a reg bag the mares Axis MR12, octopus and analog guages for only 485, mine was 500.83 after shipping. To me thats a deal.

With regard to your question concerning a backplate, no, the Origin does not have a backplate. You'll see the term used a lot on this board, and if you haven't been inducted into the BP/Wing club, you'll probably get confused.

A backPLATE is a formed piece of steel (or aluminum) with harness slots cut into it. A Halcyon backplate looks like THIS. When you see "BP" used on this board, it's always used to mean "backplate". Other manufacturers make backplates, and they look relatively similar. On a backPLATE, a "wing" (air bladder) is sandwiched between the tank and the backplate. If you look around on the Halcyon site I linked above, you'll see how it fits together.

A backPACK is simply a device that holds a tank on the BC. The backPACK is joined to the body of the BC and whatever support mechanism the BC uses. The main differences in backpacks is whether it's a soft backpack or a hard backpack. A hard backpack is piece of plastic that has a concave indentation in it and a strap to hold the tank. A soft backpack does not have a rigid plastic piece on it.

The Origin does not have a backplate. It does, however, have a hard backpack. But the BC is padded for comfort.

Regarding the disparity between the published version of Rodales and the Internet version, the Internet review was conducted a couple years ago. It's possible that Mares has since changed the dump valves. Of course, if you're a cynic, the reason for the change in rating could be that Mares bought some more advertising or shmoozed the testers.

The question about buying online versus at the LDS has been discussed on multiple occasions. There are only about a dozen threads on the topic. Do a search and you'll find them. It is true, though, that the manufacturers will generally not honor warranties on "grey market" equipment. Vendors like Leisurepro, however, include their own warranties.

With regard to cost, one LDS I frequent has the standard "list price", a "sale price" and a "demo price." Strangely, everything is always on sale. And what's even stranger is that I special-ordered a new regulator and paid the "demo price" for it. I guess it was a "demo" regulator because they took it out of the box to show it to me. Between the "sale prices" and the "demo prices," the LDS is very close to (and in some cases cheaper than) online prices.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom